• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Now Only One Piggie :(:(:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamFrench

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

We had floor-time last night the girls were happy and playing. This morning I woke up to give them their morning clean and the smallest one was sitting hunched up with no interest in running away from the dustpan and brush as normal. I picked her up without any movement and her breaths were almost none existed. She felt like a ballon fit to burst.

We had her straight to the vets and the situation immediately escalated. They believed it to be a blockage which was x-rayed and confirmed. She was due for surgery immediately. We received a phone call shorty after to tell us she wasn't responding well to the pain killers and she was in much pain and distress, we could try the operation but there was very little chance of success instead euthanisia was advised.

We are now down to only one guinea and we are at a loss. We are struggling to see how we move forward. My partner and I have been up and down none stop with illnesses from these two over the last twelve months (some will say well don't get pets but we've had 5 MAJOR illnesses from them). We love the piggie we have left but are seriously considering giving her to someone who could really look after her with many other piggies.

I know this sounds really cruel but I confused as to what to do! If we get another companion what if they don't bond? What is we have another piggie with lots of illness? Etc. I don't know we could handle it

Aw heck what an awful time you've had.
You did what any caring owner would do and it was the right thing. It was unpredictable and there was nothing that you could have done different.
Others here have been through some bleak times where their piggies have illnesses one after another after another, usually quite unrelated, mine went through a phase where it seemed I had a hotline to the vets and the vets had a hotline to my bank account, the piggies had a hotline to my heart and nerves and sometimes it can be tough.

Only you can decide, none of us have ever-lasting bank accounts, and we can only take so much heartache when they need treatment one after another, and we all are different. I don't think you will be judged if you rehome your remaining girl and perhaps (no promises) someone here may be able to help you.

However when you are at a low point it can seem like the right thing and then you can regret it afterwards, it's a decision only yourselves can make for you and for her but I can only suggest not rushing into it.

I see your worries about bonding - we all get nervous about that. I have not always been successful there but then I've taken pigs in without knowing first if it would work out. A good rescue should be able to pair her up with a partner that she likes, and who likes her, and if it doesn't work out down the line may be able to take the piggy back in. I know it's hard and tough to take one back, but finding the right partners for both pigs is important, and if they are not happy it can be the best if you cannot house them both, or if you cannot go down the route of finding more partners for those who fall out (it can end up expanding).
As I say, a good rescue should help to prevent these problems, so finding a partner for her may not be such a big issue.

There will come a time for most us where we are left with just one and will decide that will be the end of our piggy journeys, no matter how long and loving these journeys have been, and it will be all for different reasons. You won't be alone in being in this position, not the first or the last of us.

If your piggy is not grieving may I suggest you leave it a week or two to decide? Sleep on it a bit? Research a few rescues and see if the cycle is something you wish to continue? I know piggies can become ill, but there are times when it's plain-sailing too.... only you can make the choice - no one will judge.

Huge hugs to you and sorry for your losses too xx

I am really sorry to hear this and so sorry for your loss. I think you completely made the right decision for your little piggy PTS is such a tough decision to make but one made with the love for them at the front of our minds.

You are left with a tough decision to make. Your piggy could yes indeed do with a new friend - Piggies are herd animals and love company of their own kind. Have a read of this thread here for details on how dealing with a bereaved piggy Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig Are they currently eating and drinking okay, piggies often are withdrawn for a few days or so after the loss of a friend. Maybe give it a few days before deciding what to do next. Maybe a rescue could help with bonding your piggy if you decide to get another

Unfortunately we can never guarantee how healthy any pet we have may be, some go through lives with very little illness other times you are up the vets often it is purely luck of the draw and not something you are doing wrong so please don't think that.

Aw heck what an awful time you've had.
You did what any caring owner would do and it was the right thing. It was unpredictable and there was nothing that you could have done different.
Others here have been through some bleak times where their piggies have illnesses one after another after another, usually quite unrelated, mine went through a phase where it seemed I had a hotline to the vets and the vets had a hotline to my bank account, the piggies had a hotline to my heart and nerves and sometimes it can be tough.

Only you can decide, none of us have ever-lasting bank accounts, and we can only take so much heartache when they need treatment one after another, and we all are different. I don't think you will be judged if you rehome your remaining girl and perhaps (no promises) someone here may be able to help you.

However when you are at a low point it can seem like the right thing and then you can regret it afterwards, it's a decision only yourselves can make for you and for her but I can only suggest not rushing into it.

I see your worries about bonding - we all get nervous about that. I have not always been successful there but then I've taken pigs in without knowing first if it would work out. A good rescue should be able to pair her up with a partner that she likes, and who likes her, and if it doesn't work out down the line may be able to take the piggy back in. I know it's hard and tough to take one back, but finding the right partners for both pigs is important, and if they are not happy it can be the best if you cannot house them both, or if you cannot go down the route of finding more partners for those who fall out (it can end up expanding).
As I say, a good rescue should help to prevent these problems, so finding a partner for her may not be such a big issue.

There will come a time for most us where we are left with just one and will decide that will be the end of our piggy journeys, no matter how long and loving these journeys have been, and it will be all for different reasons. You won't be alone in being in this position, not the first or the last of us.

If your piggy is not grieving may I suggest you leave it a week or two to decide? Sleep on it a bit? Research a few rescues and see if the cycle is something you wish to continue? I know piggies can become ill, but there are times when it's plain-sailing too.... only you can make the choice - no one will judge.

Huge hugs to you and sorry for your losses too xx
Thanks for your words, we are not dealing very well with our loss. I don't know if I can keep going through this heartache but at the same time I feel re-homing would be giving up on one I love. I will give some time to see how we feel. They're such great character and so cute but it hurts so much when things aren't right

Xx

I am really sorry to hear this and so sorry for your loss. I think you completely made the right decision for your little piggy PTS is such a tough decision to make but one made with the love for them at the front of our minds.

You are left with a tough decision to make. Your piggy could yes indeed do with a new friend - Piggies are herd animals and love company of their own kind. Have a read of this thread here for details on how dealing with a bereaved piggy Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig Are they currently eating and drinking okay, piggies often are withdrawn for a few days or so after the loss of a friend. Maybe give it a few days before deciding what to do next. Maybe a rescue could help with bonding your piggy if you decide to get another

Unfortunately we can never guarantee how healthy any pet we have may be, some go through lives with very little illness other times you are up the vets often it is purely luck of the draw and not something you are doing wrong so please don't think that.
Thank you for replying it feels like I've been kicked in the chest. It was so sudden and has left us with a very difficult decision to make.

Xx

Thank you for replying it feels like I've been kicked in the chest. It was so sudden and has left us with a very difficult decision to make.

Xx

I know, take a few days. Grief is a real kicker and the suddenness of it makes it even more difficult to accept. Try and focus on your piggy left behind, what is her name? She will be missing her friend

I know, take a few days. Grief is a real kicker and the suddenness of it makes it even more difficult to accept. Try and focus on your piggy left behind, what is her name? She will be missing her friend
She's called Tao. She doesn't seem right at all.

Hi

We had floor-time last night the girls were happy and playing. This morning I woke up to give them their morning clean and the smallest one was sitting hunched up with no interest in running away from the dustpan and brush as normal. I picked her up without any movement and her breaths were almost none existed. She felt like a ballon fit to burst.

We had her straight to the vets and the situation immediately escalated. They believed it to be a blockage which was x-rayed and confirmed. She was due for surgery immediately. We received a phone call shorty after to tell us she wasn't responding well to the pain killers and she was in much pain and distress, we could try the operation but there was very little chance of success instead euthanisia was advised.

We are now down to only one guinea and we are at a loss. We are struggling to see how we move forward. My partner and I have been up and down none stop with illnesses from these two over the last twelve months (some will say well don't get pets but we've had 5 MAJOR illnesses from them). We love the piggie we have left but are seriously considering giving her to someone who could really look after her with many other piggies.

I know this sounds really cruel but I confused as to what to do! If we get another companion what if they don't bond? What is we have another piggie with lots of illness? Etc. I don't know we could handle it

BIG HUGS!

I am very sorry for your loss! Blockage/severe bloat is such a nasty thing to come down with and such a shock for you! :(

Please don't do anything rash while you are still in shock; giving up a piggy is like another death, only that you are left with feelings of guilt for the rest of your life. I have been there myself with unplanned babies from a shop born sow that were born in the middle of a major illness in the immediate family when we were constantly racing up and down from Wales, and I rue it to this day. Needless to say that I have gone rescue ever since!

I am linking @Stewybus into this thread for you. He runs Tees Valley Guinea Pig Rescue which is your closest good rescue that is on our list of recommended rescues. He can either bond your remaining piggy at the rescue with a healthy companion of your piggy's choice, so you can be assured that they get on when your bring them home together or - if you really want to give up your bereaved piggy (which I really don't hope) - to make sure it comes into safe hands and only goes to a home checked home with a new carefully bonded companion. He is the best one for you to sort out any practical details.

Here are our tips on what your can do for your bereaved one: Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

You are welcome to post a tribute in our Rainbow Bridge section if or whenever it feels right for you. We all grieve differently; just to make you aware that it is there for those that would like to make use of it.

Is Tao eating, drinking, weeing and pooing?

Is there any way you can get her to a vet tonight? I hope that doesn't sound pushy, I would hate you and Winnie to be in the situation where she goes badly downhill over night x

Is there any way you can get her to a vet tonight? I hope that doesn't sound pushy, I would hate you and Winnie to be in the situation where she goes badly downhill over night x
Sorry sorry sorry sorry wrong thread please ignore that!!

I had just been on the thread about another pig, one who appears to be ill, and thought for one moment that this was a reply from that thread! x

BIG HUGS!

I am very sorry for your loss! Blockage/severe bloat is such a nasty thing to come down with and such a shock for you! :(

Please don't do anything rash while you are still in shock; giving up a piggy is like another death, only that you are left with feelings of guilt for the rest of your life; I have been there myself with unplanned babies from a shop born sow that were born in the middle of a major illness in the immediate family when we were constantly racing up and down from Wales, and I rue it to this day. Needless to say that I have gone rescue ever since!

I am linking @Stewybus into this thread for you. He runs Tees Valley Guinea Pig Rescue which is your closest good rescue that is on our list of recommended rescues. He can either bond your remaining piggy at the rescue with a healthy companion of your piggy's choice, so you can be assured that they get on when your bring them home together or - if you really want to give up your bereaved piggy (which I really don't hope) - to make sure it comes into safe hands and only goes to a home checked home with a new carefully bonded companion. He is the best one for you to sort out any practical details.

Here are our tips on what your can do for your bereaved one: Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

You are welcome to post a tribute in our Rainbow Bridge section if or whenever it feels right for you. We all grieve differently; just to make you aware that it is there for those that would like to make use of it.
Thanks for the post. These were both pet store piggies, we weren't aware of the issues with them until after we bought them.

Thanks for linking them, we were looking at rescues in the area wether it be to look for a companion, or the other option.

We're going to take a couple of days and fill her with love until we can come to a decision. We feel exactly that; re-homing means grieving for another piggie however at least we know she'd be going with other piggies and people who have time to look after her. That said; we love her and don't want to see her go :(

Thanks for the post. These were both pet store piggies, we weren't aware of the issues with them until after we bought them.

Thanks for linking them, we were looking at rescues in the area wether it be to look for a companion, or the other option.

We're going to take a couple of days and fill her with love until we can come to a decision. We feel exactly that; re-homing means grieving for another piggie however at least we know she'd be going with other piggies and people who have time to look after her. That said; we love her and don't want to see her go :(

The safest way to find a new companion of Tao's choice is a rescue that offers dating, like Tees Valley. I have gone down that way myself several times with bereaved piggies of mine, and have always come out of it with a very loving new relationship. With a sow, you can look at both sows or neutered boars. Age is of no concern; mutual liking is the decider!

You feel like a lot of owners when they have illnesses & a death. We've all been there, you've had her a year now, time for you both to bond. Why not just catch your breath for a week or two. If you decide you can't go on, give her to a rescue, not privately to another family, I would worry if they would take care of her, like you have. If she stays as I would hope she would. Shortly you would have to get her a new friend, or else she will pine & get depressed, maybe even stop eating. Huge hugs coming your way.
By the way was she from a pet shop, curious because a lot of piggies become ill from. If so was it P@H

You feel like a lot of owners when they have illnesses & a death. We've all been there, you've had her a year now, time for you both to bond. Why not just catch your breath for a week or two. If you decide you can't go on, give her to a rescue, not privately to another family, I would worry if they would take care of her, like you have. If she stays as I would hope she would. Shortly you would have to get her a new friend, or else she will pine & get depressed, maybe even stop eating. Huge hugs coming your way.
By the way was she from a pet shop, curious because a lot of piggies become ill from. If so was it P@H
We are going to take some time and decide the best course of action. I can't make a decision at the moment it's like a rollercoaster.

Yes she was from P@H and we had lots of illnesses over the course of the last 12 months

Sorry sorry sorry sorry wrong thread please ignore that!

I had just been on the thread about another pig, one who appears to be ill, and thought for one moment that this was a reply from that thread! x
Critter you mustn't booze when your in the forum! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back