Nursing Sow Screams to get away from babies

raining.ashes

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
80
Reaction score
63
Points
170
Location
United States
Honestly, I can't tell if it's a cry for help or food, but it still gives me a good laugh. Vivi, my 7 minth old mom of 4 new borns will stand and the middle of her cage and scream/wheek until I either feed her or take her away from the kids. After a while she starts wheeking again and I put her back with the kids and everything is fine- no more noises. Here's a pic of the babies pouting bc they can't find mommy.
 

Attachments

  • 20180801_155634.webp
    20180801_155634.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180801_155633.webp
    20180801_155633.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 11
@furryfriends (TEAS) @VickiA @pig in the city @Wiebke Any idea on the crying?

Gorgeous piggies by the way!
Yea she is just hungry. At first I freaked bc I thought that she had a complication from the pregnancy or breast feeding, but the "screaming" (which is really just high pitched wheeking) only occurs when she sees/hears me or knows I am in the room. In part it's bc I actually had to cut down on the veggies I was feeding her after realizing I was waaaay over feeding her with the veggies, and also partly bc she didn't like how the hay rack was set up so I had to adjust it for her.
 
Most piggies high pitch wheak (Meg sounds like she's being murdered!) when they know their slave is approaching or they hear a key in the door, or the fridge door opening, or a rustling bag, or the knife chopping veg or ...... They are forever hopeful that something tasty may just suddenly appear in the cage/hutch/run. They plead starvation at every opportunity! At veg time every evening my lot seem to inhale it like they haven't eaten all day which I know they have.
 
Mum is hungry. Feeding young uses a lot of calories, so mum is going to need much more than normal. She will need lots of veg, as it has a high fluid content, as she will be feeling very thirsty too. Fresh grass is excellent if you have access to this.
 
Back
Top