• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Orange/Rust-Colored Urine, Result of Medication?

ashleemelda

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My girls went to the vet on Monday, December 2 and were prescribed Bene-Bac Plus Microbial Gel (given by mouth once daily for 10 days) and Bactrim/SMZ-TMP (given by mouth twice daily for 10 days) to aid in what she believed was the start of an infection. Since then, I have noticed that their urine has turned an orange/rust color. There have also been dried calcium deposits on and around their fleece. Neither of these had begun happening until they were given their medication, which are yellow and pink in color, respectively. Nothing about their vegetable diet has changed either. Part of that diet consists of red peppers occasionally but that has never affected the color of their urine.

Do you all think the medication could indeed be the culprit and is just a waiting game?

Tagging @furryfriends (TEAS) @Wiebke @PigglePuggle as I’m not too sure on this.

What else (veg) do they eat on a regular basis. Are you sure the calcium deposits have only just started now?
[/
I follow the sample diet guide by @Wiebke, aside from the type of lettuce. They each get 1-2 leaves of green leaf lettuce, a rotating slice of either red, yellow, or orange sweet pepper, a chunk of celery, a slice of cucumber, and one full green bean. I give Rose one sprig of cilantro, whereas Moira doesn’t like them.

Rose’s urine is usually clear, and Moira’s is cloudy from time to time but has never left as deep a white stain as it has been since we returned from the vet and since I have started giving them their medication.

The calcium deposits are also not gritty to the touch.

Yes many factors can change the colour of urine, and even healthy piggy pee often oxidises to a rusty brown colour- as long as they are not in pain when urinating, seeing as they are already getting vet care maybe you can mention this at their next examination and the vet can do some routine urine tests to set your mind at rest x

Back