• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pain killer wearing off too fast

Suki&Indie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all! One of my poor ladies has been battling cystitis on and off for months now. She’s recently gone downhill again but this time her painkiller seems to be wearing off quite fast. She was prescribed 0.4ml of cat metacam 2x a day. After she gets it she’s so happy - running around and eating, however after a few hours she goes back to being quiet and withdrawn (she’s not a big squealer when she’s sore just prefers to sit in a corner) would I be better to give her 0.2ml 4x a day? Or is there another painkiller that might be better as I feel awful for her.

Please do talk to your vet about what you were finding.
They are the only ones who can tell you what dosage to give. It may be that a different painkiller or another painkiller is needed alongside metacam.

I hope she is ok

Hi all! One of my poor ladies has been battling cystitis on and off for months now. She’s recently gone downhill again but this time her painkiller seems to be wearing off quite fast. She was prescribed 0.4ml of cat metacam 2x a day. After she gets it she’s so happy - running around and eating, however after a few hours she goes back to being quiet and withdrawn (she’s not a big squealer when she’s sore just prefers to sit in a corner) would I be better to give her 0.2ml 4x a day? Or is there another painkiller that might be better as I feel awful for her.

Hi

Please speak to your vet. The cat metacam is too weak and too low dosed for her current pain level and she may need to switch times stronger dog metacam. 1 kg piggies can safe deal with up to 0.4 -0.5 ml of dog metacam (that is 1.2-1.5 ml cat metacam) twice daily as we have seen repeatedly on here and I also in my own piggies more than once.

Unfortunately, only cat metacam is officially licenced for small exotics whereas guinea pigs do much better on dog metacam.

Alternatively, your would need to look at other (stronger) pain medication - again, this would be unlicensed.

All the best.

so we got tramadol for her today - is there any way to tell if she’s drowsy from the tramadol or depressed/lethargic from illness? She’s sat in the corner and I feel so sad for her. I am considering letting her cross the rainbow bridge if she doesn’t improve
Hi

Please speak to your vet. The cat metacam is too weak and too low dosed for her current pain level and she may need to switch times stronger dog metacam. 1 kg piggies can safe deal with up to 0.4 -0.5 ml of dog metacam (that is 1.2-1.5 ml cat metacam) twice daily as we have seen repeatedly on here and I also in my own piggies more than once.

Unfortunately, only cat metacam is officially licenced for small exotics whereas guinea pigs do much better on dog metacam.

Alternatively, your would need to look at other (stronger) pain medication - again, this would be unlicensed.

All the best.

so we got tramadol for her today - is there any way to tell if she’s drowsy from the tramadol or depressed/lethargic from illness? She’s sat in the corner and I feel so sad for her. I am considering letting her cross the rainbow bridge if she doesn’t improve

Tramadol can make a piggy a bit drowsy but are you weighing her first thing in the mornings and are you syringe feeding her? Pain is massive appetite killer. Keep in mind that hay is the first food group that is usually impacted. It makes over three quarters of what a piggy eats in a day and cannot be controlled by eye.

All the practical advice and how-to tips for illness support: All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Emergency Information and Care

Tramadol can make a piggy a bit drowsy but are you weighing her first thing in the mornings and are you syringe feeding her? Pain is massive appetite killer. Keep in mind that hay is the first food group that is usually impacted. It makes over three quarters of what a piggy eats in a day and cannot be controlled by eye.

All the practical advice and how-to tips for illness support: All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Emergency Information and Care
I’ve been syringe feeding although she’s not very happy about taking it. She eats very little hay and is losing weight. She only started antibiotics recently as we struggled to get them and had to eventually get them from a human pharmacy so I’m hoping she picks up with the antibiotics but I know her refusal to eat is a poor sign

Back