• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pebble is off to the vets

I got up at 2am to give him a feed. He took it ok.

The positives are he’s not lost any weight overnight, he’s eating the syringe feed ok, and wanted a tiny bit of veg and ate two tiny pieces of hay I handed to him.

The negatives are he stinks of pee and his feet are getting red and he’s not eating hay yet.

So I think he’s doing ok.

I’m just going to clean them out. The hay is not particularly dirty/wet. I really don’t want to end up with bumble foot to sort out too. 😕

Does anyone know what barrier cream I could use? I do have gorgeous guineas foot balm. But I know I have to not get his feet too soft.

Also maybe he has a UTI now from the stress 🤷🏻‍♀️.
 
So happy to hear the boy is home and allright ❤️ very good sign he starts to eat right away.
I always think day three and four after dental is the worst. Joe always looked like he was weening off after a very wet partyweekend on Mallorca those days. So miserable!
 
I got up at 2am to give him a feed. He took it ok.

The positives are he’s not lost any weight overnight, he’s eating the syringe feed ok, and wanted a tiny bit of veg and ate two tiny pieces of hay I handed to him.

The negatives are he stinks of pee and his feet are getting red and he’s not eating hay yet.

So I think he’s doing ok.

I’m just going to clean them out. The hay is not particularly dirty/wet. I really don’t want to end up with bumble foot to sort out too. 😕

Does anyone know what barrier cream I could use? I do have gorgeous guineas foot balm. But I know I have to not get his feet too soft.

Also maybe he has a UTI now from the stress 🤷🏻‍♀️.
I used F10 barrier cream and CLX wipes when Winifred 🌈 got bumblefoot. I think later on I was also prescribed Flamazine cream.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/is-this-bumblefoot.201210/
 
Not sure if I can feel a pea size round lump next to Pebbles grease gland now. I’ll give it a clean with coconut oil at his next feed to make sure it’s not the actual gland itself. 😟
Maybe wait a couple of days to let Pebble stress down first, but after a GA I always let my boys soak for awhile in water with epsomsalt. I dont know how they can get so stinky and dirrty, but epsom is good for both skin and feets and soaks the yucky away (and Harry says he can see his own reflection in Kongos furr. Its like Kongos butt is a big mirror!)
 
Maybe wait a couple of days to let Pebble stress down first, but after a GA I always let my boys soak for awhile in water with epsomsalt. I dont know how they can get so stinky and dirrty, but epsom is good for both skin and feets and soaks the yucky away (and Harry says he can see his own reflection in Kongos furr. Its like Kongos butt is a big mirror!)
Thanks for that. I’ll definitely do that. He really pongs. But I don’t want to stress him yet. 👍🏻
 
Hi everyone. Thanks for the well wishes. ❤️

He’s not eating hay yet. Even if I offer him it. He just sits in the hay pile. Not laying down. Just sitting.

But he runs to me for a few pea flakes and can eat them slowly. He’s getting 15ml of syringe feed five times a day. Today he has managed to pick up his veggies and willingly eat them on his own. So I know he can pick up food and eat it. He’s just choosing not to eat hay at the moment.

He’s stopped smelling so bad and he’s not damp so that’s an improvement too.

So all in all he’s doing ok but still has a way to go.
 
Lovely little Pebble. Great he's taking the feed and is interested in veggies and pea flakes and hopefully the hay interest will follow very soon. He sounds like a trooper.
 
Ah that’s great to read about Pebble ….as each day goes he will improve ….keep munching and having that lovely cc stuff 🥰
 
I know it's difficult this time of year but would he eat a bit of grass obviously not too much though if he's not used to it x
I was having that thought this evening too! He’s really not used to grass and even in the summer I don’t tend to give them much. I could try a bit though. The vet nurse said try a bit dried plantain too. So I’m by the pet shop tomorrow so I’ll pop in and see what they might have to tempt him with.
 
I was having that thought this evening too! He’s really not used to grass and even in the summer I don’t tend to give them much. I could try a bit though. The vet nurse said try a bit dried plantain too. So I’m by the pet shop tomorrow so I’ll pop in and see what they might have to tempt him with.
Dried dandelion is a good treat ….my two boys love it
 
Hang in there. These days are dreadful and you always read about those pigs that just walked right towards the haypile and start munching still high. Some pigs do, some pigs dont. None of mine has. Now my boys tends to be specials and nutcases, but the whole experience from loosing the ability too eat, maybe pain and all the vet visits and that GA can be very stressful and they can need some time to win their confidence back. My dentistvet always says two weeks to fully know, but you will se Pebble nibble and eat some straws during these weeks. You will just know.

Kongo says go Pebbles, enjoy your critical care. My favorite is anise mixed with soaked pellets and some pressed cucumber. Very good! Tips for your slave to make food more interesting: mix cc with watery greens or fresh Apple. Joe got a bit of basil every third syringe and oh what a surprise slave gave a hay!
 
Hang in there. These days are dreadful and you always read about those pigs that just walked right towards the haypile and start munching still high. Some pigs do, some pigs dont. None of mine has. Now my boys tends to be specials and nutcases, but the whole experience from loosing the ability too eat, maybe pain and all the vet visits and that GA can be very stressful and they can need some time to win their confidence back. My dentistvet always says two weeks to fully know, but you will se Pebble nibble and eat some straws during these weeks. You will just know.

Kongo says go Pebbles, enjoy your critical care. My favorite is anise mixed with soaked pellets and some pressed cucumber. Very good! Tips for your slave to make food more interesting: mix cc with watery greens or fresh Apple. Joe got a bit of basil every third syringe and oh what a surprise slave gave a hay!
Thank you. Yes I was hoping it would be a quick fix. At least he’s eating a small portion of veggies on his own.

He’s still making the funny mouth movements like foods getting stuck. Did your dental piggies do this too.
 
Thank you. Yes I was hoping it would be a quick fix. At least he’s eating a small portion of veggies on his own.

He’s still making the funny mouth movements like foods getting stuck. Did your dental piggies do this too.
Morning, does he have a follow up appointment booked? 💐
 
Back
Top