• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pellets Only Or A Mixed Bag Of Food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra West

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! My vet gave me a paper today telling me that bags of pellets with added seeds and such is actually bad for them because it makes them gain weight. I have a mixed bag, and he recommended I take the added stuff out of the food. What do you things think? do you feed your piggie(s) mixed bags or just pellets? Currently I'm taking the added things out of Finnian's food. Or do you guys disagree with the vet?

I wouldn't feed them mixed bags myself as they create selective feeding (picking out their favourite bits and leaving the rest, like kids not eating their veg at dinner), which means they won't be getting all the goodness they need. I'm not sure where the vet is getting his info, there are loads of different types of pellet feeds with different ingredients so there isn't just one type. Not sure what he means about seeds?

I feed my girls pellets only, but they have 4 different types of pellets so there's a variety of ingredients. Mostly grasses and hays in them with other bits, alfalfa hay (in Science Selective which I also feed) CAN cause weight gain but if you monitor their weight weekly you can see if it actually affects your piggy. It doesn't seem to for my piggies. You can also weigh out the food and give the correct amount to ensure they don't have too much.

I believe there are a few threads on her about the nutritional values of each pellet but I forget the info myself lol. That should help you.

image.jpg
I wouldn't feed them mixed bags myself as they create selective feeding (picking out their favourite bits and leaving the rest, like kids not eating their veg at dinner), which means they won't be getting all the goodness they need. I'm not sure where the vet is getting his info, there are loads of different types of pellet feeds with different ingredients so there isn't just one type. Not sure what he means about seeds?

I feed my girls pellets only, but they have 4 different types of pellets so there's a variety of ingredients. Mostly grasses and hays in them with other bits, alfalfa hay (in Science Selective which I also feed) CAN cause weight gain but if you monitor their weight weekly you can see if it actually affects your piggy. It doesn't seem to for my piggies. You can also weigh out the food and give the correct amount to ensure they don't have too much.

I believe there are a few threads on her about the nutritional values of each pellet but I forget the info myself lol. That should help you.
Well, I think I didn't explain enough. He was meaning the mixed bags with things like corn, soybeans, peas, and such. Such as:

image.jpg image.jpg
Hello! My vet gave me a paper today telling me that bags of pellets with added seeds and such is actually bad for them because it makes them gain weight. I have a mixed bag, and he recommended I take the added stuff out of the food. What do you things think? do you feed your piggie(s) mixed bags or just pellets? Currently I'm taking the added things out of Finnian's food. Or do you guys disagree with the vet?
I've failed to explain enough, by mixed bags, I mean like these

Yea I use those as occasional treats but not a complete food, I don't think those nugget bits have all the nutrition needed? Either way pellets have everything they need in there and there are some fantastic ones available :)

I along with many other owners feed pure pellets, not muesli, however it is never recommended to remove parts of the mix as it with change the nutritional values. Instead, I recommend you switch your guinea pigs onto a nugget diet without muesli in the bag.

Seeds are actually bad for guinea pigs as guinea pigs are unable to deshell them, unlike a hamster. Also they can get stuck in teeth and cause dental issues. If the guinea pig chooses to selective feed and only eats their favourite bits that are often sugary and fatty.

Recently someone posted a complete nugget guide which shows the most commonly available guinea pig nuggets and their nutritional information.

Since you are in the US, I recommend trying Oxbow Cavy Cuisine. It is a highly regarded food here on the forum and contains a very high percentage of fibre. I don't know if your guinea pigs are old enough for the adult food or young enough for the junior food though.

I along with many other owners feed pure pellets, not muesli, however it is never recommended to remove parts of the mix as it with change the nutritional values. Instead, I recommend you switch your guinea pigs onto a nugget diet without muesli in the bag.

Seeds are actually bad for guinea pigs as guinea pigs are unable to deshell them, unlike a hamster. Also they can get stuck in teeth and cause dental issues. If the guinea pig chooses to selective feed and only eats their favourite bits that are often sugary and fatty.

Recently someone posted a complete nugget guide which shows the most commonly available guinea pig nuggets and their nutritional information.

Since you are in the US, I recommend trying Oxbow Cavy Cuisine. It is a highly regarded food here on the forum and contains a very high percentage of fibre. I don't know if your guinea pigs are old enough for the adult food or young enough for the junior food though.
Alright. I'm removing the large pieces from the mix because he's only about 6-8 weeks, and they're far too big. He's only eating the pellets, too. He's ignoring everything else. Tomorrow or so I'll go out and get a pellet-only food if I'm allowed... my parents probably wouldn't be too happy about going and getting a different food after buying this, and having to pay for a vet bill... most likely I'll have to wait until he finishes the pellets from the mix once I finish removing the big bits.

You don't need to remove the big bits, piggies can eat bigger things. Also if you get some good pellet food you should mix it in to the old food anyway, so they can start to get used to it :) So nothing will go to waste.

You don't need to remove the big bits, piggies can eat bigger things. Also if you get some good pellet food you should mix it in to the old food anyway, so they can start to get used to it :) So nothing will go to waste.
Well every time he eats a seed or one of the large O shaped things, he chokes

I have had my pigs on muesli- I know that pellets are that bit better but I suppose I like the idea of him having a variety you know? Sounds weird. I understand about the whole eating their favourite parts- I mean if I could eat choclate all the time I would! Haha but both my pigs ate all the stuff once they knew they didn't get their favourite parts until they'd eaten it all. They've never been on just pellets-when I got them they had both been having museli- though I changed to another because the one I was given had seeds in- big nope! I make sure they have more of the brown pellets in the bowl compared to flakes and I buy more pellets that I mix in with the muesli.

I have had my pigs on muesli- I know that pellets are that bit better but I suppose I like the idea of him having a variety you know? Sounds weird. I understand about the whole eating their favourite parts- I mean if I could eat choclate all the time I would! Haha but both my pigs ate all the stuff once they knew they didn't get their favourite parts until they'd eaten it all. They've never been on just pellets-when I got them they had both been having museli- though I changed to another because the one I was given had seeds in- big nope! I make sure they have more of the brown pellets in the bowl compared to flakes and I buy more pellets that I mix in with the muesli.
The one I was told to buy at the store had seeds in it. I went through last night and picked out all of the seeds, but he still won't touch his food very often. But he is eating a LOT of hay. Maybe he's eating the food less? Not sure.

My guinea pig has days where he'll clear the bowl and then others where he'll just pick at it. It's better that they eat more hay then pellets because their jaws weren't designed to chew and crunch them all day long. I agree with you picking the seeds out- that must have been a long process! If he doesn't seem overly keen then do try another kind but make sure you don't just change the food abruptly. :)

My guinea pig has days where he'll clear the bowl and then others where he'll just pick at it. It's better that they eat more hay then pellets because their jaws weren't designed to chew and crunch them all day long. I agree with you picking the seeds out- that must have been a long process! If he doesn't seem overly keen then do try another kind but make sure you don't just change the food abruptly. :)
He took to the new food immediately, and even spilled the bowl all over the place, and is very much ignoring the old food.

Awww that's good to hear! Sounds like that one is delicious ;) My rabbit went through three kinds of food before he found one he liked.

Normally piggy food doesn't have seeds in as they're a choking hazard.

Is your piggy eating pellets now? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back