• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

LillyKormylo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
On May 4th I bought a baby male guinea pig from Petco. Which ended up being a mistake. I fell in love with him and named him Jelly (my other one is named Peanut-butter), he was the only one I’m his cage, and he looked so sad, I thought he could help my older guinea pig who just went through the loss of a friend become more lively and happy. I bought him, and all his supplies. I took him home and I noticed he was sneezing, in fear he had a URI I decided I would take him back the next day because they offer pet care within the first 30 days of buying your pet. I took him back today, and the woman working took him from me, saying that they had to take him in order to care for him, I thought that was fine. Until she said I had to return him, money back and everything! I had no idea this would happen and no where in the pet contract I signed did it say that. I’m scared he’ll either die in their care, because I bought him sick (not knowing he was until later) or they’ll cure him and then sell him without telling me he’s okay. They woman gave me a Petco card and said they would call us when he was in good health. I called them about 4 hours later to check in on him, they said he was in the ‘Care Center’. I’m sill so worried about him, and scared that I won’t get him back. I’ve been sad and crying all day, worried sick. I put his cage away not too long ago, and put all his supplies away as well. Peanut-butter seems very sad again, loss of her new friend. I hope I get my Jelly back. Please leave comments or anything about Petco and if there actually allowed to do what they did. Fingers crossed he’ll be okay.

I'm not sure of US law, but this would be correct in the UK. Pets here are 'goods' in the same way that a washing machine, a car or anything else you buy.
When a trader sells faulty goods ( your poorly piggy for eg) you have a right to return and be refunded. OR the trader has the chance to put the goods to rights.

So, in your case, petco are attempting to get this pig back to health and saleable. In the UK, the fact that they have returned your money in full would be a concern as that ends the contract and would give them the right to sell the pig to someone else.

Maybe someone in the US will have a more relevent answer. I cant see why, though, if this pig gets better, they would sell it to someone else? Surely they will call you straightaway?

Hope it all works out for you

I can't offer advice but as @tabelmabel has said one of our US members may be able to advise.
I can just offer you support and a welcome to the forum

Whilst I do hope that you are able to collect Jelly in the very near future, once he has received a clean bill of health, please do not put an entire male guinea pig with an entire female guinea pig.

On May 4th I bought a baby male guinea pig from Petco. Which ended up being a mistake. I fell in love with him and named him Jelly (my other one is named Peanut-butter), he was the only one I’m his cage, and he looked so sad, I thought he could help my older guinea pig who just went through the loss of a friend become more lively and happy. I bought him, and all his supplies. I took him home and I noticed he was sneezing, in fear he had a URI I decided I would take him back the next day because they offer pet care within the first 30 days of buying your pet. I took him back today, and the woman working took him from me, saying that they had to take him in order to care for him, I thought that was fine. Until she said I had to return him, money back and everything! I had no idea this would happen and no where in the pet contract I signed did it say that. I’m scared he’ll either die in their care, because I bought him sick (not knowing he was until later) or they’ll cure him and then sell him without telling me he’s okay. They woman gave me a Petco card and said they would call us when he was in good health. I called them about 4 hours later to check in on him, they said he was in the ‘Care Center’. I’m sill so worried about him, and scared that I won’t get him back. I’ve been sad and crying all day, worried sick. I put his cage away not too long ago, and put all his supplies away as well. Peanut-butter seems very sad again, loss of her new friend. I hope I get my Jelly back. Please leave comments or anything about Petco and if there actually allowed to do what they did. Fingers crossed he’ll be okay.

I am very sorry about your experience. It is a way of some pet shops and pet shop chains to get around their legal accountability in case a piggy dies. As it is no longer in your possession while ill, you do not have any legal rights for suing them over the death of your pet.
Thankfully, in the UK this practice has mostly stopped now after lots of complaints, but the US have a different legal culture where compensations claims are generally a lot higher. :(

If Jelly makes a full recovery, you will get him back. If it is only sniffles and he is not showing any more serious symptoms, then you have a good chance for that.
I fully agree that it is extremely upsetting being forced to sign over a pet you have just bonded with because you have been sold an infected pet in the first place. It is not a clause that you look for when you buy a pet, and the shops are taking full advantage of that fact. :(

When you feel overwhelmed by your fears, try to turn them into loving and healing thoughts for your piggy so you can help him as much as possible from the distance. If you are religious, praying is another way to turn your negative energy into a more positive one. ;)

Is Peanut a boar? I am very sorry for your loss. You sound like a very caring owner!
You may find these guides here helpful and informative:
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Also research whether you have got any decent rescues with mandary quarantine/medical care and respect for welfare recommendations within your reach. There are sadly none in many areas, but if you can get to one, they are by far the safest place to get already safely bonded healthy and properly sexed guinea pigs and to have any single guinea pigs bonded with a friend they like and get on with.
List of recommended and carefully vetted good standard guinea pig rescues in the US: Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations
There are quite a number more non-kill rescues, but you will have to make your own research as to their practices and standard. You can look up on petfinder whether there are any in your state and within your reach if you wish to avoid pet shops in the future.

It is a way of some pet shops and pet shop chains to get around their legal accountability in case a piggy dies.
I was in such a rush this morning that i didnt get round to going into the reasons why the refund had been made but @Weibke has explained well here - you have no legal rights just now as the pig legally belongs to petco.
I am as certain as certain can be that, if this piggy makes a complete recovery, you will get him home. If not, it will be a blow but you will have avoided expensive vet bills. Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Whilst I do hope that you are able to collect Jelly in the very near future, once he has received a clean bill of health, please do not put an entire male guinea pig with an entire female guinea pig.
I wasn’t planning on it! I got them separate cages and when they do meet I watch them carefully.

I am very sorry about your experience. It is a way of some pet shops and pet shop chains to get around their legal accountability in case a piggy dies. As it is no longer in your possession while ill, you do not have any legal rights for suing them over the death of your pet.
Thankfully, in the UK this practice has mostly stopped now after lots of complaints, but the US have a different legal culture where compensations claims are generally a lot higher. :(

If Jelly makes a full recovery, you will get him back. If it is only sniffles and he is not showing any more serious symptoms, then you have a good chance for that.
I fully agree that it is extremely upsetting being forced to sign over a pet you have just bonded with because you have been sold an infected pet in the first place. It is not a clause that you look for when you buy a pet, and the shops are taking full advantage of that fact. :(

When you feel overwhelmed by your fears, try to turn them into loving and healing thoughts for your piggy so you can help him as much as possible from the distance. If you are religious, praying is another way to turn your negative energy into a more positive one. ;)

Is Peanut a boar? I am very sorry for your loss. You sound like a very caring owner!
You may find these guides here helpful and informative:
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Also research whether you have got any decent rescues with mandary quarantine/medical care and respect for welfare recommendations within your reach. There are sadly none in many areas, but if you can get to one, they are by far the safest place to get already safely bonded healthy and properly sexed guinea pigs and to have any single guinea pigs bonded with a friend they like and get on with.
List of recommended and carefully vetted good standard guinea pig rescues in the US: Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations
There are quite a number more non-kill rescues, but you will have to make your own research as to their practices and standard. You can look up on petfinder whether there are any in your state and within your reach if you wish to avoid pet shops in the future.
Thank you for the helpful links! I did get a call from the pet store and they said he was in good health and I could get him back tomorrow! (May 8th) I’m very happy. Also Peanut butter is a Sow but I do keep them in separate cages, but I do let them play and see each other, only when I’m watching though.

That is good news that you'll be getting Jelly back. :)

You can't do play dates with piggies every meeting is like a full on bonding session and is very stressful for them. You should NEVER put and entire male and entire female together as mating can happen quicker than the blink of an eye and quicker than you can move.

@Seven7 has Finn (an entire male) and Lara (an entire female) in separate cages so he should be able to advise you.

Thank you for the helpful links! I did get a call from the pet store and they said he was in good health and I could get him back tomorrow! (May 8th) I’m very happy. Also Peanut butter is a Sow but I do keep them in separate cages, but I do let them play and see each other, only when I’m watching though.

Hi!

That is wonderful news! I am glad that it is likely just a sensitivity to hay dust.

PS: Guinea pigs DO NOT do playdates! For them each meeting is a frustratingly interrupted bonding session.

Mating also happens so quickly that you cannot prevent it. Any boar over 3 weeks can make babies and no guinea pig is ever too old for offspring although most births will go wrong the older a piggy gets.

Are you aware that high percentage of births are ending with the death of mother nd/or pups even on the best of care? If you think we want to just scare you, have a look through our pregnancy section and see for yourself how littered with dead pups and the occasional mother it is! :(

Hello and Welcome.

My boy Finn is from Petco, and he will be 2 years old around Thanksgiving time 2019 and he has been with me since her was a little baby. He lives in a cage on his own, and a big playpen he roams around in everyday. He has a friend named Doggy a stuffed dog in his cage, who has been Finn's buddy since he was a baby.

My boy Finn lives close by Lara who also lives in a separate cage on her own. Lara came to me after a friend rejected her, so I bought her a cage for $100 and gave her a home close by my boy Finn. She has been with me for about a year but I don't really know Lara's true age.

My Finn and Lara have been living close by for over a year in separate cages, and it has worked for us. They seem to keep each other company. I am not a breeder so I would cause more trouble than good if I allowed my piggies to have babies. Both Finn and Lara are happy, pop corning, eating and playing day and night.

My boy Finn with his Doggy.
IMG_4630.JPG

If you returned all the cages and supplies you purchased for your boy, where would you put your new boy since you have a girl living with you already? If your boy comes with you today from Petco, where will he stay?

If you returned all the cages and supplies you purchased for your boy, where would you put your new boy since you have a girl living with you already? If your boy comes with you today from Petco, where will he stay?
I didn’t return his cage and supplies, I just put it away for more room in my bedroom. I got him back today and now he’s all set up and comfortable. My guinea pigs live close together as well. If they were both boys they’d live together but, they’re not so I try to avoid it.

Back