• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggi With Long Hair

natalieskeene

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggie has long hair especially around her butt and it has started to become matted. She loves to be stroked but hates being picked up and because of this I’m struggling to be able to cut it off! Does anyone have any tips for nervous pigs?!

Try this pick up tip here:-

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Then put some of her favourite veg on the floor just out of reach and given time she should come out and eat it, then you can snip of the matted bits. It may take a few goes over a few days but at least it will be done. When I have to give Betsy her very fashionable wedge cut I pop her on some newspaper on the ironing board with a whole pot of parsley as a bribe to keep still. I keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't wander off though! Parsley is a rare treat as it is quite high is calcium but she absolutely loves it. I have had Betsy for two years and she is quite tame. I'm not recommending you put your piggie on an ironing board to cut her hair it's just what I do.

I used round ended scissors for their first few haircuts. Graduated to normal hair cutting scissors when I became more confident. I hold them firmly on my lap and snip away until they have short hair. Then offer treats which are usually refused!

They are alway delighted to get back to their cage.

Every time you pick her up give her a small treat, slice of carrot, cucumber, parsley etc. Even if she never grows to like being picked up if the result is food it will become more acceptable. I move mine around in their pet carrier or a hidey, they have got used to this now and just jump in (I place it in the cage), once they are out of the cage in the carrier it's easy to pick them up - no stressful chasing round the cage. I find it's easier to trim long haired piggies if there is someone else to hold them still. Use food as a bribe and only cut off as much as you can before they get too fidgety. You'll have a lopsided pig for a few days but that's better than an accident. I put mine on the floor on newspaper with a pile of food if no one is holding them.

I need to trim round Lunas bum as she gets poo stuck in her fur round there. She hates it but I sit her on my knee, put my hand under her back feet and kind of make her do a handstand to get to her bum. Her head ends up under my arm so she can hide. I just do a bit each night until she gets too wriggley then put her back and feed pea flake lol. She soon forgives me.

Back