• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggy Behaviour I Don't Quite Understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessyD2

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new piggy owner and have two females, Keira (18 weeks old) and Natalie (9 weeks old).
I've read that mounting is common amongst female pigs (I assumed only males did it but after some research I see that both sexes do this) however I haven't stumbled accords anything about thrusting... The other morning I caught Natalie mounting Keira's head and thrusting onto it. I've seen her do it a total of 3 times in the last couple of days. Has anyone else experienced their pigs doing this? Any ideas what it could mean?
We have checked that they are both female and it looks like they both are! I was initially worried that Natalie would turn out to be a he!
Thanks

Humping is all part of the dominance ritual and is normal whilst they sort out who is who in the pack. If you could post a well lit picture of both piggies "bits" just to be sure they are both females :-)

Hello, I'm a new piggy owner and have two females, Keira (18 weeks old) and Natalie (9 weeks old).
I've read that mounting is common amongst female pigs (I assumed only males did it but after some research I see that both sexes do this) however I haven't stumbled accords anything about thrusting... The other morning I caught Natalie mounting Keira's head and thrusting onto it. I've seen her do it a total of 3 times in the last couple of days. Has anyone else experienced their pigs doing this? Any ideas what it could mean?
We have checked that they are both female and it looks like they both are! I was initially worried that Natalie would turn out to be a he!
Thanks

This is not all that rare behaviour when sows are in season, especially during the first few seasons in a new bond. The urge to mount and hump from whatever direction is not just reserved for boars when the hormones take over! I have a fair number of sows who are humping (or at least trying to) the the neutered boars they are living with in the hours before they are fully ready for mating, not just their fellow sow companions.
Sow Behaviour

its normal for them to do mine did do it to xx
enjoy your new piggies xx
xhugs to you and you piggiesx :hug:

Thanks :) we've had a good google image session, the girls are definitely girls!

At least you know for sure now :-) I'm sure they'll sort themselves out soon x

It's normal... just part of dominance behavior and also shows up when female pigs are in heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back