• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Strawb

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm absolutely devastated my baby boy Sonic passed away early hours after an intense two weeks. Just for peace of mind has anyone had previous experience where their pig hasn't recovered from an op? After reading threads online I feel like more could have been done to avoid this outcome, i don't know I just feel like I've paid for a vet to kill my pet...
Sorry I couldn't think of a way to make it a long story short.
About 3 months ago Sonic had a little cyst just above his butt, 3 months later it's the size of a golf ball it's not bothering him in the slightest but it's pretty big so I take him back in and the vet says straight away it's now turned into a tumour I now have to decide if they sedate him and remove it or put him down, it's 50/50 if he wakes up after sedation but I wanted to give him the chance seeing as he was absolutely fine he just had a big lump attached. An Hour later he's out of surgery and awake I bring him back home that evening. The next few days he's his normal self except he won't eat or poop. We get critical care from the vet to syringe feed him as they think he's stressed because of the trauma and meds ect. He starts nibbling veg but very slowly and never finishes It. it was sad because he squeaked and got excited when food went toward him but It was like he couldn't eat. I then see a patch of diarrhoea in his cage so I worry and we are in and out of the vets with prodding and X Ray's, he's still got his personality and running around like normal at this point. It comes back he's very bloated/has colic so they give me different meds (Zantac, infacol, pain relief and different liquid food) and take him off the antibiotic the next couple days he's finally deflated after looking and feeling like a bubble, pooping again and no sign of diarrhoea, still acting like a normal pig personality wise but still not really interested in eating actual food, the day before he passed he ate celery and lettuce pooped a bunch even managed to pee he had a check up that evening and they said he was doing well and to carry on with the meds for the next 5 days. The next morning he's eating celery again and his syringe food and drinking water, the afternoon he does the same then I get home in the evening and it was like he'd been trod on. He was flat not moving and had white gunk in his eyes and there was diarrhoea all under him I rushed him to an emergency vet and that was when they said I basically had to agree to putting him down as there was no coming back from it. Just as I'd agreed to it he just died in her arms then and there. When I asked her why it happened she just said little furries aren't the strongest when it comes to things like this and that was that which I completely understand but I just don't get how he started to do so much better and in a matter of hours he's just gone. Also Just to point out as well during all his visits to the vet they never once said it wasn't looking good or that I should maybe think about saying goodbye. Should they have stopped treatment sooner? Should I have agreed to putting him down instead of the op? Again sorry it's very long winded.

I am sorry to hear this, it sounds as if you did everything that you could. Unfortunately some piggies don't react well to anaesthetics and from your account it affected his gut function. Please don't beat yourself up, you did what you could x

I echo Barbara above, please don't blame yourself. We have no way of knowing how they react after operations. You had to do the operation for him and made the correct decision you really did all you could. Huge hugs, I am so sorry for your loss

So sorry to hear about Sonic x

Back