• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Powder or sludge in guineas pee?

Puddles1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I was holding my baby, Minnie. Minnie peed on a towel I was holding her with and her pee smelt insanely bad and potent. Also this stuff also appeared in the area she had peed. Now I’m not sure if it was there before but I messed with it with a toothpick to see it’s consistency and it was not dry. I’m not sure if this could be sludge or? Any opinions would help greatly. Might be making a vet trip.

Attachments

Puddles1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Just an update: the spot did dry into more of a powder. I’m not sure if it’s just too much calcium but for veggies they get green/red leaf lettuce, radicchio, and green bell peppers.

D

DMS260820

Don't worry about the powdery urine stains. Worry if your pigs start squealing whilst peeing or you see gritty powder or blood. I've had a boar before who left loads of white powdery stains behind all his life to 7 years old, and never had a bladder problem at all. Its normal if it's just powdery and not gritty

Puddles1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Don't worry about the powdery urine stains. Worry if your pigs start squealing whilst peeing or you see gritty powder or blood. I've had a boar before who left loads of white powdery stains behind all his life to 7 years old, and never had a bladder problem at all. Its normal if it's just powdery and not gritty
Okay! The only thing I’m worried about is that it came when she was peeing, so it didn’t dry and then there was a white stain. Also her pee smelling badly. How do you tell if it’s gritty?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
To tell if it’s gritty you touch it and feel it.
Pellets and unfiltered drinking water contain more calcium than even the highest calcium veg.

Ensure you keep pellets strictly limited to one tablespoon of per pig per day (that is often around 5-7 grams of pellets, or around 10-12 individual pellets depending on brand). Don’t just pull out a handful and gauge by eye because it is far too easy to overfeed pellets that way.

Any changes to the diet take a while to come through and have an effect, but looking at the diet is a good thing to do, also a vet check if you are concerned.