• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pregnant Male Piggy?!

JuliaDunne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! Was looking for some advice really, we bought 2 piggies for our sons 3 months ago (spiderpig & batpig) obviously i had nothing to do with their naming! But in the last few days we’ve noticed spider pig getting a lot rounder!

We were told they were boys.....can anyone offer any advice please?

Bloating or pregnant? And if so what do we do?

Thank you!

Julia

Attachments

• A2B47690-3F3A-4A39-BE1B-2D1CB1D215EA.jpeg
    A2B47690-3F3A-4A39-BE1B-2D1CB1D215EA.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20A0EE26-0A22-434B-9DEC-CD0827ED5EC2.jpeg
    20A0EE26-0A22-434B-9DEC-CD0827ED5EC2.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 43
First things first you need to confirm the sex of both piggies. We have a useful guide here Sexing Guide but if you aren't sure then please try to get as clear a photo as possible of their 'bits' for advice

thanks for the advice and sharing the link, will have a proper look although the difference between the 2 sexes doesn’t look a lot so hopefully I can tell the difference!

Julia

Definitely important to check their genders first and foremost... you can post pictures if you need a hand and there is a guide to determining sex on the pregnancy page (I believe) in a sticky at the top to give you some pictures to compare.

thanks for the advice and sharing the link, will have a proper look although the difference between the 2 sexes doesn’t look a lot so hopefully I can tell the difference!

Julia

Thet can sometimes be difficult. The older they get it's usually easier to tell. Like I said you are welcome to parade photos on here for us all to look at. I've not done too much sexing but I know a few members have a good eye for it

That shape looks a lot like my Elsa when she was pregnant...
C304DE42-6CBB-45AF-9936-EFFAB9B97C7C.jpegFF58BF32-8714-4B14-9751-5646FCE95B0D.png

Welcome.
I also have a boy and a girl piggies but they live in separate cages.

I read that girl piggy eats a lot when pregnant, and gets bigger quickly.

I would take her/him to a vet.

I love their names! I'm no expert by any means, but from all I've read on this forum, it's not that uncommon to miss-sex piggies, unfortunately. Others will be able to give you better advice on what to do should Spiderpig turn out to be female and pregnant. :)

I would suspect a pregnant female, a vet can accurately sex and if not your boy needs to get a check up.

Welcome to the forum, please let us know how you get on

I’m no expert here but I’d say that piggy has been down the surgery for a dodgy bum enhancement! 😂 You might notice some twerking going on! 😆 Otherwise you’re going to have an extended family 🙊 Either way a trip to the vets is in order!

Good luck xx

I’m no expert here but I’d say that piggy has been down the surgery for a dodgy bum enhancement! 😂 You might notice some twerking going on! 😆 Otherwise you’re going to have an extended family 🙊 Either way a trip to the vets is in order!

Good luck xx
Hahahahaha dodgy bum enhancement! Will update later when properly checked the sex! X

Thanks everyone for the replies, will keep you posted later when I’ve had a proper look 🙈

Must say spiderpig looks very similar to the one in the photo! X

Looks pregnant to me. Very like my Eva in the last few days! Be sure to check the sex asap and if you do have a male and a pregnant female the male will need removing as he can get the female pregnant again just hours after the birth. That's how my Eva had a back to back pregnancy :(

What do we think?

Attachments

• 344C6362-5DB2-4EA3-BFDE-02E5E41FDF68.jpeg
    344C6362-5DB2-4EA3-BFDE-02E5E41FDF68.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 41
  • A8EF89F1-671C-4228-9409-5A3D9777D510.jpeg
    A8EF89F1-671C-4228-9409-5A3D9777D510.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 41
Back