• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Putting Back Outside

kayles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my 3 guinea pigs have been in the shed since late October.
I was wondering the people who have outside Guinea pigs when do you consider putting them back outside. I know it won’t be any time soon.. but I need to get a new hutch!
We live in the UK and have a relatively sheltered garden.. they have snuggle safes and each other to cuddle!

Thank you everyone! And bringing them in the house isn’t a possibility for us. I was going to start gradually introducing them to the outside in their run on the warmer days..

my piggies stay outside all year round. they have never been inside because of winter conditions but we just stuff their houses with hay and plenty of food because i cant really bring 13+ guineapigs living in my house for winter with a great dane pup too!:D but anyway,when you put them back in the runs outside maybe later next month?just a guess because I'm not to sure. but make sure they have lots of little hides with hay in them,and keep it sheltered from the elements and they should be alright! hope this helped you!:D:D

Guinea pigs' natural habitats are around 18 to 24 degrees, so when it gets warm enough so that it doesn't drop dramatically below this temperature, you could put them outside. Why don't you just keep them in the shed though? Hope this helps:P.

Guinea pigs' natural habitats are around 18 to 24 degrees, so when it gets warm enough so that it doesn't drop dramatically below this temperature, you could put them outside. Why don't you just keep them in the shed though? Hope this helps:P.

Because we desperately need our shed back for storage! And I prefer my pigs to have fresh air all the time!

my piggies stay outside all year round. they have never been inside because of winter conditions but we just stuff their houses with hay and plenty of food because i cant really bring 13+ guineapigs living in my house for winter with a great dane pup too!:D but anyway,when you put them back in the runs outside maybe later next month?just a guess because I'm not to sure. but make sure they have lots of little hides with hay in them,and keep it sheltered from the elements and they should be alright! hope this helped you!:D:D

Are they okay outside all year round? Do they live in a shed or in the open?
Yeah, I would like them outside ASAP really!

Are they okay outside all year round? Do they live in a shed or in the open?
Yeah, I would like them outside ASAP really!
my piggies have two big double hutches right against the wall outside my kitchen window,and we ALWAYS put things like wood and covers in front of the hutches at night with lots of hay,and they all love hugging up together,so its pretty warm and safe!:nod:

my piggies have two big double hutches right against the wall outside my kitchen window,and we ALWAYS put things like wood and covers in front of the hutches at night with lots of hay,and they all love hugging up together,so its pretty warm and safe!:nod:

Ah okay. I have one guinea pig on his own, possibly considering neutering and getting him a female friend as he doesn’t get on with the other boars I have. Not sure what to do. We are dealing with ringworm currently too and I’m wondering if the confines of the shed aren’t helping with that!

I think I normally let mine out in April, whenever it gets above 17 degrees consistently without drops :) Mine live inside but go out in the run in better weather and when the ground is dry.

Yes it's best to put piggies in a shelter of some kind in winter to avoid drafts and they don't do as well in low temperatures below 15 degrees. Any drafts and cold/dampness can cause pneumonia. A shed or unused garage is definitely better, you're right :) I know people do keep them outside all year round but if you have a space like a shed it's definitely worth doing for them :)

My hutch and pigs will be going back into the summer aviary toward the end of April or beginning of May once the temperature is warmer and stable. Fingers crossed for an early spring! :)

We desperately need a new shed this year. Our repairs for this winter are holding, but with the best will in the world they won't do for another winter.

Back