• Dying, terminal illness and euthanasia: New sensitive support guide for guinea pig owners Please Click Here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Emergency Really Worried - Piggy badly straining and not eating

Ladeofshade

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve just joined. I hope someone can help. My guinea pig is not himself, he’s not eating much, he’s oinking (much more than normal, not all happy oinks) but every 2 minutes you can see him strain really hard and he oinks. He has had some poos come out but don’t seem as normal. I have an appointment with the PDSA on Friday, but I’m going to ring them to try get him in tomor. I think he is in pain, there has been some pinkish red in his urine, and he also had some mucus looking stuff come out, just the once. Also I noticed his poos smell different and his anus is twitching and almost looks more open than normal (gross sorry). Don’t know what to do for him but I can’t leave him like this 😣

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve just joined. I hope someone can help. My guinea pig is not himself, he’s not eating much, he’s oinking (much more than normal, not all happy oinks) but every 2 minutes you can see him strain really hard and he oinks. He has had some poos come out but don’t seem as normal. I have an appointment with the PDSA on Friday, but I’m going to ring them to try get him in tomor. I think he is in pain, there has been some pinkish red in his urine, and he also had some mucus looking stuff come out, just the once. Also I noticed his poos smell different and his anus is twitching and almost looks more open than normal (gross sorry). Don’t know what to do for him but I can’t leave him like this 😣
Hi

Please have him seen as soon as possible as an emergency; can you please speak to the out-of-hours service via the PDSA number?
He may have got a bladder stone stuck in his urethra. it is very painful and can be deadly if the urine backs up into the bladder.

This can definitely not wait until Friday and frankly cannot even wait until tomorrow if it is as bad as you say.

Ladeofshade

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

Please have him seen as soon as possible as an emergency; can you please speak to the out-of-hours service via the PDSA number?
He may have got a bladder stone stuck in his urethra. it is very painful and can be deadly if the urine backs up into the bladder.

This can definitely not wait until Friday and frankly cannot even wait until tomorrow if it is as bad as you say.
I will ring them now. Thanks 😣

Ladeofshade

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We are back home now. He had an X-ray which showed he has got a stuck bladder stone, they have given him fluids, antibiotics and a painkiller for tonight. We have to take him back in the morning for his op. Hoping he will be ok through the night 🙏🏼🙏🏼😔😔 x

Ladeofshade

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

Thank you so much for your advice x

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Well done for getting such prompt vet treatment that was a real emergency situation! Best of luck with the op and healing wheeks for Jimmy x

Ladeofshade

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m fuming! The vets told me to be back at 10:10 this morn, now they are saying they booked his appointment for a different hospital so they will need to do it tomorrow! So he’s got to stay like this all day and night til tomorrow! They have given him more pain relief, but I’m not happy 😤

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Oh dear that doesnt sound good, is he still able to pass urine at all? If he cant then the surgery is very urgent :(