• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Recovery After Spay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin&Crumble

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My first post so bear with me!

On Monday my two little girls Muffin and Crumble underwent a spay. Crumble's behaviour had changed dramatically so our vet suspected an ovarian cyst, and recommended a spay - we decided it was best to also have Muffin spayed as keeping her intact might have caused problems with her sister in the future. It turns out the surgery was lifesaving, as Crumble's cyst was the biggest the vet had ever seen in a piggy.

They came home that evening and although quiet seemed to be recovering fine - lots of poops and widdles, and both tucking in to their fresh veg. They've become a bit more outgoing over the past couple of days, and yesterday when I took them for their post-op check the vet was really pleased with their recovery - the wounds look squeaky clean, their temperatures and heart rates were fine and they hadn't lost any weight.

Last night and today, I've started to get a bit worried about Muffin. Although we've had to take nearly all of their toys and shelves out to minimise the chances of them jumping about too much whilst they recover, we have left their little hidey hut in their hutch with them (they are indoor piggies). Every so often when both piggies are in their hut, Muffin has started screaming at the top of her lungs for minutes at a time. She stops as soon as we lift the hut to see what the matter is, and when I've given her cuddles I've gone over her to see if she is in pain anywhere, but she doesn't seem to be. She'll take food from me and from her food bowl straight after one of these squealing session, so I'm really struggling to get to the bottom of it.

I'm just looking for some advice or reassurance I guess - I'm wondering if she is just bored because all her toys have gone? It's breaking my heart when she squeals like that, and I can't find any reason at all why she is doing it!

Firstly, hi and welcome to the forum!

Is it only when they are together in the hut? It could just be a submission noise if they are in the same small space. Mine make noises if they are in a hidey and another guinea forces their way in. I also have a girl that is very protective of the hay tray, and if any other guin comes over while she is in it, she will scream until they go away! Muffin might just want some space, especially if she isn't feeling quite 100%.

Others will give you more advice as well, but in my experience, low moans or sharp squeals are more worrying than a prolonged wheek. If you have any concerns, just take her back to the vet :)

Hello, Welcome to the forum.

That is really strange.... Any behavior leading up to it? where is Crumble when this is happening, is she in the same hut. I would recommend a hut each... squeals like that can be due to when one pig wants to be in a space the other one currently is, ours girls squabble over cosies at times

One other thought, are they on pain killers after the operation?

Could you add your location to your profile please it helps us tailor any advice if needed towards your geographical location

Lee

Crumble is in the hut too, I was hoping Muffin was just grumpy rather than in pain! Once we put all their shelves back in and open up the run again, maybe it'll stop?

They are on a painkiller, I don't know the name I'm sorry but I do know it's supposedly honey flavoured!

Well, much less squealing tonight, th girls are sharing their hay nicely - Crumble got so excited she jumped in her manger. Nothing wrong with her recovery methinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back