• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red skin surrounded by Dry Skin Circle on bottom

a213jf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I just noticed on my boar's bottom (he's about 5-6 months old) a reddish spot that has dry skin flaking/peeling away from the center of it. There is a picture attached to this post. Can anyone help me identify what this could be?

IMG_20190205_220248472.jpg

Cant see on the photo, but that describes ringworm to me, you need a vet asap, try finding a guinea pig knowledgeable vets. This can spread to to you and all other pigs if you have any

The area looks a bit swollen too but that might just be the angle of the photo. Please call a vet during normal opening hours to have it checked out

Hi all, I just noticed on my boar's bottom (he's about 5-6 months old) a reddish spot that has dry skin flaking/peeling away from the center of it. There is a picture attached to this post. Can anyone help me identify what this could be?

View attachment 106177

Hi! Please have the spot vet checked. It is either a fungal skin infection or an infection in the skin; it is impossible to judge from your picture without a hands-on examination; especially as whatever it is iws in very early stages.
In the first case, an oral systemic fungal medication or an anti-fungal dip and good hygiene to prevent transmission would be the very best and in the second an antibiotic is the appropriate treatment.

:agr: Please take your piggy to see a vet to find the cause of the problem. Please let us know how you get on.

Thank you all. I took Fabio to the vet this morning. The Vet believes this is likely bacterial related. She didn't see any reason to believe it was fungal/ringworm. Fabio does have a tendency to sit in his poop/pee area and its likely that contributed to it. Vet prescribed Nolvasan to apply for 7-14 days 2-3 times a day.

Your photo actually looks quite like the urine scald we saw when our Piggle had a UTI and her pee was unpredictable and painful and full of bacteria and irritating her skin. Very sore but antibiotics from the vet cleared it up very fast. Hope your piggy gets well soon!

Thank you all. I took Fabio to the vet this morning. The Vet believes this is likely bacterial related. She didn't see any reason to believe it was fungal/ringworm. Fabio does have a tendency to sit in his poop/pee area and its likely that contributed to it. Vet prescribed Nolvasan to apply for 7-14 days 2-3 times a day.

I’m not familiar with Nolvasan but hope it helps clear it up quickly.

Your photo actually looks quite like the urine scald we saw when our Piggle had a UTI and her pee was unpredictable and painful and full of bacteria and irritating her skin. Very sore but antibiotics from the vet cleared it up very fast. Hope your piggy gets well soon!
Good to hear, this is similar to what the vet thinks as well. Hoping for a speedy recovery as well!

I’m not familiar with Nolvasan but hope it helps clear it up quickly.
Its like a diluted blue liquid, it serves the same purpose as Neosporina/antibiotic would for humans if we had a cut or something. Nolvasan is non-toxic for guinea pigs at least :)

Back