• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

55G-PigLove100

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been thinking about getting some Piggies for a while now. I have done months worth of research on them and their care, but the one thing that is holding me back from getting some piggies is the fear of them coming out in ringworm.

I have asked so many different people about it and they all give me so many different answers, some say that Guinea Pigs just carry ringworm and can randomly come out in it! Then others have said in order for them to come out in the fungal infection they need to have at least have had ringworm already in their life. I just don't know what to think, my head is spinning from it all!

I have really bad anxiety and I could never cope if I had some Piggies and they came out in ringworm, let alone if I was to come out in ringworm!

hello

Welcome to the forum. I think you are really responsible for doing research.

Over the years of having 9 pigs we have had fungal issues with 3/4 times with 3 or four different piggies. No warning it just happens. Luckily never had ringworm but other fungal infections. It is pure luck of the draw.

You can't guarantee what illness a pet may have or the level of care then you as an owner have as a responsibility to provide when they are poorly - they rely on us to help them.
I am not going to sugar coat it for you because it wouldn't be fair of me to do that. Pets will always get ill and it can be difficult to cope with when they are. Our first girls never got poorly until one of them was 4yrs old and had developed jaw issues, it was one of the most exhausting emotionally draining things i have ever experienced and in the end we had her PTS and lost her. But in my mind the loss was worth the love hence why we have had another 7 piggies through the years, some hardly got ill others like my sweet Cookie was poorly on and off for a year and again at times it can be exhausting. I have anxiety too and I don't tend to cope well when the girls get poorly so I do know were you are coming from I really do.

You need to have a good think because Ringworm can be bad but there are a myriad of illness equally as stressful to deal with possibly as a pet owner. Forewarned is forearmed.

Sorry if that was a little heavy, but you asked such a sensible question i felt it warranted a substantial reply

Hope you enjoy being part of the forum

Lee

hello

Welcome to the forum. I think you are really responsible for doing research.

Over the years of having 9 pigs we have had fungal issues with 3/4 times with 3 or four different piggies. No warning it just happens. Luckily never had ringworm but other fungal infections. It is pure luck of the draw.

You can't guarantee what illness a pet may have or the level of care then you as an owner have as a responsibility to provide when they are poorly - they rely on us to help them.
I am not going to sugar coat it for you because it wouldn't be fair of me to do that. Pets will always get ill and it can be difficult to cope with when they are. Our first girls never got poorly until one of them was 4yrs old and had developed jaw issues, it was one of the most exhausting emotionally draining things i have ever experienced and in the end we had her PTS and lost her. But in my mind the loss was worth the love hence why we have had another 7 piggies through the years, some hardly got ill others like my sweet Cookie was poorly on and off for a year and again at times it can be exhausting. I have anxiety too and I don't tend to cope well when the girls get poorly so I do know were you are coming from I really do.

You need to have a good think because Ringworm can be bad but there are a myriad of illness equally as stressful to deal with possibly as a pet owner. Forewarned is forearmed.

Sorry if that was a little heavy, but you asked such a sensible question i felt it warranted a substantial reply

Hope you enjoy being part of the forum

Lee

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It's so strange, I always though animals only came out in ringworm only if they come into contact with an infected animal or a place where that infected animal has been. I know it lives in wood. I do wish Piggies didn't randomly come out in it.

Thank you so much again.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It's so strange, I always though animals only came out in ringworm only if they come into contact with an infected animal or a place where that infected animal has been. I know it lives in wood. I do wish Piggies didn't randomly come out in it.

Thank you so much again.

Fungal spores can get anywhere on anything

ive had 5 piggies that have had fungal issues,but i have 24 piggies so have to be vigilant,and get vet treatment at the first sign of fungal issues.i have not had any cases where the fungal has progressed to other piggies in there herd.i also bath my piggies every 3 months in an antifungal shampoo to reduce the risks.I agree with sport billy that it is a lottery as to which piggies get ill.!so sensible you are researching the subject.:)

Back