• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

toast

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
I got a guinea pig from what I thought was a reputable source, but she turned out to have quite a severe case of ringworm.
I've taken her to the vet (prescribed oral antifungal meds) and have nearly finished the treatment course. I've also given her 2 baths.
The ringworm is looking much better, fur is starting to grow back and haven't noticed any new crusts.
My worry is I have 2 other guinea pigs (one 3yrs and the other 6weeks old) and I don't want them to catch it. The vet said to wait another 2 weeks after the treatment course finishes before introducing them to make sure the infection has cleared up.
Is there anything else I can do to make sure they don't catch it?
Has anyone had pigs with ringworm that recovered fine and didn't have issues again?
I'm probably way overthinking this and just looking for reassurance.
Attached pics of what the lesions looked like - first two are what it looked like when i got her the last 3 which is how it looks now
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 11.19.11 AM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-05-19 at 11.19.11 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-05-30 at 10.31.35 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-05-30 at 10.31.35 PM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-05-30 at 10.31.35 PM.jpeg

Hygiene is the most important thing as it can also be transferred to you. I don’t know if there is anything else but perhaps have a read of the thread linked below.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Hi all,
I got a guinea pig from what I thought was a reputable source, but she turned out to have quite a severe case of ringworm.
I've taken her to the vet (prescribed oral antifungal meds) and have nearly finished the treatment course. I've also given her 2 baths.
The ringworm is looking much better, fur is starting to grow back and haven't noticed any new crusts.
My worry is I have 2 other guinea pigs (one 3yrs and the other 6weeks old) and I don't want them to catch it. The vet said to wait another 2 weeks after the treatment course finishes before introducing them to make sure the infection has cleared up.
Is there anything else I can do to make sure they don't catch it?
Has anyone had pigs with ringworm that recovered fine and didn't have issues again?
I'm probably way overthinking this and just looking for reassurance.
Attached pics of what the lesions looked like - first two are what it looked like when i got her the last 3 which is how it looks now
View attachment 144167View attachment 144168View attachment 144169View attachment 144170View attachment 144171

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your bad start! Sadly anybody can call themselves a breeder or rescue in the Enlish speaking world without licensing or supervision. Show breeding rules do not cover conditions at the breeder's homes. For rescues we have got a recommended rescues locator of those rescues that have passed a thorough vetting process re. good standard of welfare practice and ethics at all stages.

Here is our very detailed ringworm hygiene guide. I can't repeat it all in just a couple of sentences. You may find the guide very helpful re. companions and yourself. In well over a dozen years of existence we have had time to find out the hard way in just how many ways invisible spores can be transmitted and learn how to address the problem most effectively.
You may want to bookmark this link as our guide is very comprehensive: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Thank you!
I've been handling her with gloves+thoroughly washing hands+f10 hand gel afterwards, and I've got some f10 for the cage as well. The ringworm thread you linked was actually what brought me to this forum in the first place, so that has been really helpful.

I am sorry that you’ve ended up with a piggy with ringworm. Sadly we see this all too often but well spotted and good to hear you are now on top of it. The oral treatments are the best and most effective method of killing the fungus. You say you’ve given 2 baths. What are you bathing her in? I would usually finish off any treatment phase with an imaverol dip to make sure there is nothing left on the hair or skin that could be transmitted to the others. And I would also agree with your vet - if you allow 2 weeks after finishing treatment that is enough time to see whether it is truly gone and also gives her time to recover from this whole process.
Good luck and do keep us informed (particularly when you do the intros).

Thank you!
I've been handling her with gloves+thoroughly washing hands+f10 hand gel afterwards, and I've got some f10 for the cage as well. The ringworm thread you linked was actually what brought me to this forum in the first place, so that has been really helpful.

You can prevent the companions coming down with ringworm themselves with either a few days on the oral fungicide as well or by giving them a thorough fungal bath within 10 days of the first outbreak (i.e. before they can develop an acute outbreak themselves) and then again a bath at the end of the acute outbreak to prevent all your piggies from re-infection from spores getting caught in the coat.

I am glad that our guide has helped you!

I am sorry that you’ve ended up with a piggy with ringworm. Sadly we see this all too often but well spotted and good to hear you are now on top of it. The oral treatments are the best and most effective method of killing the fungus. You say you’ve given 2 baths. What are you bathing her in? I would usually finish off any treatment phase with an imaverol dip to make sure there is nothing left on the hair or skin that could be transmitted to the others. And I would also agree with your vet - if you allow 2 weeks after finishing treatment that is enough time to see whether it is truly gone and also gives her time to recover from this whole process.
Good luck and do keep us informed (particularly when you do the intros).
One bath was just regular shampoo after dabbing iodine solution on the lesions as I was waiting for the medicated shampoo to arrive. Found some f10 shampoo and gave her a bath with that yesterday. Is imaverol available online?

You can prevent the companions coming down with ringworm themselves with either a few days on the oral fungicide as well or by giving them a thorough fungal bath within 10 days of the first outbreak (i.e. before they can develop an acute outbreak themselves) and then again a bath at the end of the acute outbreak to prevent all your piggies from re-infection from spores getting caught in the coat.

I am glad that our guide has helped you!
Awesome, I'll ask my vet about potentially putting the other pigs on the antifungal for a bit but will definitely give them a bath too. Thanks!

Posting an update - 2 days before the meds course was supposed to end I noticed a scab on the piggy's nose. I've taken her to the vet again and they said it may just be a scratch, but they're extending the meds for another 10 days to be on the safe side. The lesions on her back are still looking great, fur's almost completely grown in and no flaking. The one on her nose has been there since this Mon, haven't noticed any change in it for better or worse. She's still in isolation from my other pigs.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-06-01 at 2.20.09 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-01 at 2.20.09 PM.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 7
It can be persistent and take longer to clear in some cases, so extending the course is a good idea.
yes, you can get imaverol online. Here is just one link to it. Imaverol Ringworm Treatment
You mix a measured amount in water, then sponge it all over the piggy and then leave it to dry (no rinsing off). It kills any spores left in the fur.

New update - finished the extended antifungal course, had her looked at by a vet again today. Vet said she may have developed a secondary bacterial infection or mites 😢 she's being treated for both now, but no longer on antifungal meds. I feel really bad for her as she's been on her own and on meds for almosta month now, and she seems to have gotten quite a few complications. So that's where we're at, if she's not better after the antibiotic course she's going tohave another two ivermectin injections. Hoping it gets resolved okay 🤞

Fingers crossed. Poor girl. She must have been very run down and stressed when you got her.

Fingers crossed. Poor girl. She must have been very run down and stressed when you got her.
Yeah, she's been going through a lot lately :( Have another appointment this week when she finishes with the antibiotics, hoping she'll be okay to come off meds by then. Fur seems to be growing back nicely on her nose so fingers crossed

One bath was just regular shampoo after dabbing iodine solution on the lesions as I was waiting for the medicated shampoo to arrive. Found some f10 shampoo and gave her a bath with that yesterday. Is imaverol available online?
I used f10 on my boar who had ringworm and it cleared it up great. (none of the vets I saw admitted it was ringworm and fobbed me off so I had to just use the f10 shampoo and the f10sc for the cage) so if you've got the oral medication too you should be fine.

Long (long) overdue update!
After finishing all her treatments and an extra 2 weeks isolation to be safe, Agnes (left) joined my other pigs! This was back in July, and all of them are happy and ringworm free.
Thanks to everyone for your advice! Managed to treat her without spreading it to the others or catching it myself. IMG_4728.JPG

Long (long) overdue update!
After finishing all her treatments and an extra 2 weeks isolation to be safe, Agnes (left) joined my other pigs! This was back in July, and all of them are happy and ringworm free.
Thanks to everyone for your advice! Managed to treat her without spreading it to the others or catching it myself. View attachment 156037

Thank you for the update! It is great to know that our advice is working for other members, too.

What a lovely bunch!

Back