• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Scared Our Piggies Will Forget Us!

court29x

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Me and my boyfriend are going on holiday with my family for 5 days in July so the girlies are staying with my older sister who has had guinea pigs before and currently has 2 rabbits, I'm just worried that they will forget me and my boyfriend and lose that bond that we've been slowly achieving with them. we would 100% take them with us but we have no room in the car! although I'm still pushing my parents to find a way haha! We only had them on the 17th of June at 7 weeks old but we don't go until the 23rd of July, will they forget us?

Me and my boyfriend are going on holiday with my family for 5 days in July so the girlies are staying with my older sister who has had guinea pigs before and currently has 2 rabbits, I'm just worried that they will forget me and my boyfriend and lose that bond that we've been slowly achieving with them. we would 100% take them with us but we have no room in the car! although I'm still pushing my parents to find a way haha! We only had them on the 17th of June at 7 weeks old but we don't go until the 23rd of July, will they forget us?

I went away for 17 days just before Christmas, although my piggies were shocked to see my return (I think I went away for far too long) they were quiet and stunned for a few hours but then started being a bit more active and definitely knew who I was. I've always had the horrible feeling that because I was gone for so very long that perhaps they started to mourn.

When I'm gone for 2-7 days house sitting they don't seem to notice I'm not there though :))

I went away for 17 days just before Christmas, although my piggies were shocked to see my return (I think I went away for far too long) they were quiet and stunned for a few hours but then started being a bit more active and definitely knew who I was. I've always had the horrible feeling that because I was gone for so very long that perhaps they started to mourn.

When I'm gone for 2-7 days house sitting they don't seem to notice I'm not there though :))
Okay great thank you!

I went away for 7 days not long ago and left my neighbour in charge with a long list of instructions. When I go home my piggies were wheaking in excitement as soon as they heard my voice and they came up to the hutch door (they usually run away) just to say "hello so you're back then!"

They won't forget you at all....

Please don't worry about this at all. It's important that you can still go away and enjoy your holiday. The piggies will not forget you. They will be thrilled to hear your voice when you return. It's very special coming home again anfter being away.

Please don't worry about this at all. It's important that you can still go away and enjoy your holiday. The piggies will not forget you. They will be thrilled to hear your voice when you return. It's very special coming home again anfter being away.
It certainly is!

So glad to read this thread. I will be home tomorrow after 11 days away from them ...

I've never actually considered this! Thinking about it though, as long as we've had someone there to feed them, our pigs have never shown any signs of forgetting us so you should be fine. Thank you for bringing that question up, it will be interesting to watch their behaviour after being away from them in the future.

I've never actually considered this! Thinking about it though, as long as we've had someone there to feed them, our pigs have never shown any signs of forgetting us so you should be fine. Thank you for bringing that question up, it will be interesting to watch their behaviour after being away from them in the future.
Luckily my sister calls them her 'god pigs' and adores them so they will be in safe hands!

Thank you so much :)

Got back today. As soon as I stepped through the front door they started whistling! They each happily took a piece of apple from my fingers. It was such a lovely welcome.

My partner and I can only go away overnight as my dad will feed the piggies but refuses to muck their cage out but when I come back they could care less that I've been gone or come home lol. They will remember you i'm sure so have a good and safe holiday.

My partner and I can only go away overnight as my dad will feed the piggies but refuses to muck their cage out but when I come back they could care less that I've been gone or come home lol. They will remember you i'm sure so have a good and safe holiday.
Thank you!

They won't forget you... I've left my pigs for two weeks with friends or with my parents when we were on a family vacation and they have always been very happy to see me when I came home!

Back