• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Screaming Piggy!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggiemum7

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Noticed some very red blood around jerry's bottom area and there's a little bit of pinkiness in his wee wee. I've got him out on a towel for a cuddle and he keeps screeching, screaming,tensing up and lurching forward like he's trying to push wee out that's not there. First thought is cystitis? But he is in so so much pain I don't know what to do! This is maybe the third time he's had it in a couple of years! Does anyone know anything to help before I can get him to the vets in the morning?

With the blood and amount of pain he is in it sounds like he may have a stone and in that case needs to see a vet urgently. Is he peeing at all? Stones can obstruct the flow of urine and that's an emergency. Please get him seen ASAP, consider the out of hours vets. The morning may not be quick enough if he is in an awful lot of pain and isn't peeing.....

With the blood and amount of pain he is in it sounds like he may have a stone and in that case needs to see a vet urgently. Is he peeing at all? Stones can obstruct the flow of urine and that's an emergency. Please get him seen ASAP, consider the out of hours vets. The morning may not be quick enough if he is in an awful lot of pain and isn't peeing.....

He's letting out tiny tiny puddles of wee but only really occasional little ones, is that a good thing?

I agree I've had pig's with stones and they haven't screeched this sounds like an emergency please phone the out of hours vet for advice.

Noticed some very red blood around jerry's bottom area and there's a little bit of pinkiness in his wee wee. I've got him out on a towel for a cuddle and he keeps screeching, screaming,tensing up and lurching forward like he's trying to push wee out that's not there. First thought is cystitis? But he is in so so much pain I don't know what to do! This is maybe the third time he's had it in a couple of years! Does anyone know anything to help before I can get him to the vets in the morning?

Please see a vet asap as an emergency. You should be able to get the contact number for out-of-hours services from your vets' answering machine.

It sounds rather like he has got something (a stone?) stuck in his urethra and is in agony.

I agree with the above, there is a chance it is a UTI (my Rose did similar when she had a severe one) but it needs checking as soon as possible in case there is a stone that is causing a blockage.

Thank you everyone for your help. Took him to the emergency vet and he had antibiotic injections and a painkiller. The vet said he couldn't feel anything blocking him and then he did a massive wee on the vet table! No blood in it but there were signs when the vet checked on a stick against a colour chart. He revcommended we go see our local vet in the morning for antibiotics for a couple of weeks and maybe an x ray as something wasn't right but he weed so the vet wasn't too worried. He also tends to wee where he sleeps so infection is more likely to occur as he always has a wet underside. Going to start changing his hay more than once a day for that. All together cost just under £100 :S but definitely worth it to know he is okay. I have moved his cage down next to Ben's so he can keep him company at night!

if you can manage to get a wee sample , vet should be able to test for crystals
edit

opps l arived a bit late , glad to see you pig is ok

Well done, I'm glad it was ok. An X-ray is a good move to check there is nothing solid floating around in there.... Hopeful for a speedy recovery for your boy. x

Thank you everyone! I'll keep you updated. He seems to be better this morning after the injections last night. He screeched and jumped a foot in the air and ran up my arm when he saw the needle bless him! Vet at 4pm

Sorry I forgot to update! He has been given a 7 day course of baytril which cleared it up last time.

Reccommended change of diet to get more vit C into him, any help would be great regarding foods I can try! Also have been bottle feeding him water as he doesn't really drink it by himself unless the bottle is held in front of him.

He's still straining to wee and occasional little squeaks when pooping? Could it be the anti biotic side effects? No sign of blood at the moment.

Other than that he is still his energetic cuddly self and still eating.

Thank you everyone for your help. Took him to the emergency vet and he had antibiotic injections and a painkiller. The vet said he couldn't feel anything blocking him and then he did a massive wee on the vet table! No blood in it but there were signs when the vet checked on a stick against a colour chart. He revcommended we go see our local vet in the morning for antibiotics for a couple of weeks and maybe an x ray as something wasn't right but he weed so the vet wasn't too worried. He also tends to wee where he sleeps so infection is more likely to occur as he always has a wet underside. Going to start changing his hay more than once a day for that. All together cost just under £100 :S but definitely worth it to know he is okay. I have moved his cage down next to Ben's so he can keep him company at night!

Just an idea, perhaps consider using an absorbent material inside his bed, such as a folded puppy pad, flannel, towel or potty pad. I use puppy pads in my boys beds because they have the dirty habit of lying in their own wee and poo too, and would be lying in puddles of it if I didn't have the absorbent pads. They work a treat, just like nappies and can be folded over to make sure that you use all the surface area. Just a thought, it might help reduce the chances of infection.

All the best, hope he is ok

Just an idea, perhaps consider using an absorbent material inside his bed, such as a folded puppy pad, flannel, towel or potty pad. I use puppy pads in my boys beds because they have the dirty habit of lying in their own wee and poo too, and would be lying in puddles of it if I didn't have the absorbent pads. They work a treat, just like nappies and can be folded over to make sure that you use all the surface area. Just a thought, it might help reduce the chances of infection.

All the best, hope he is ok
Thank you! He does wee in the bedroom a lot more than my other piggy. I have started changing his hay twice a day and have just bought an absorbent cage liner so fingers crossed

Day 5 of the antibiotics.
He seems to be in less pain and is not straining as much to go to the toilet.
Lots of wet poos (side effect from medicine?)
Have been occasionally syringing him water on days when he has not drunk for himself.
He's still really active, eating well and being his noisy self.
There hasn't been any blood that i've noticed until just now when i went to give him some veggies and there was a small puddle of red wee ! :( does anyone know why this could be. going to phone the vets tomorrow and see what they suggest.. maybe send off a urine sample

It depends on the vet. My vet will Xray without any sedative, my boy had kidney stones confirmed just 2 weeks ago but as we also did bloodwork he was sedated. Although he was drowsy he recovered well. It's worth asking the vet but as you've tried two antibiotics I would definitely have one done before doing anything else.

It depends on the vet. My vet will Xray without any sedative, my boy had kidney stones confirmed just 2 weeks ago but as we also did bloodwork he was sedated. Although he was drowsy he recovered well. It's worth asking the vet but as you've tried two antibiotics I would definitely have one done before doing anything else.
I will see what the vet says...
I'm just a little worried as he was the runt of his litter and is so so tiny and fragile as a result i dont know how well he would handle sedatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back