• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Separating for a URI?

Dystopoly

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So, this morning I rushed my boys into the vet because one of them was sniffling very audibly - and sure enough, he’s got a URI. The vet gave me antibiotics for him, but gave his brother a clean bill of health and told me to separate them for two weeks until the course of medicine is through.
I’m pretty hopeful about Eros’s chances of recovery since he’s still acting pretty much completely normal aside from the sniffles, but I’m very worried about keeping them apart for so long. I’ve got Apollo set up in his own cage on their familiar liner, but already they’re both visibly kind of anxious and lonely.
Has anyone else had to deal with splitting up their boars while they deal with a URI? They’re brothers and have lived together their whole lives (about 2 1/2 years now), so I’m hoping they can be reunited smoothly. I also asked the vet exactly how long they needed to be separated, and he said “until the symptoms are gone”, which seems very vague to me.... his medication is set to run two weeks, but I can hardly imagine keeping them apart for that long. :no:

Claire W

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Please do NOT separate them. Your other boy will already have been exposed to the uri so if he’s going to get it, he will get it whether they are separated or not.

By separating them, you are adding to their stress and there is a chance that they will not re bond after the two weeks are over

Cittycat

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please don't split them up. I have two sows not boars, but one's had a suspected URI for several weeks now, and I've definitely not been told to separate them by my vet.

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Dennis has had a URI since 12th September and he is still living with the love of his life. Please don't split them up it'll only stress them out.

Stretters91

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I once had to go to the vets for one of my boats , and they told me to separate them while the other one recovers ! Now they live separately permanently and I feel so bad for them ! They can go outside and eat together in there run but that’s about it now ! I’m fussed to have them live like this now ❤️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 5

Dystopoly

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Okay - thank you all so much! I’ve put them back together and they instantly seem so much happier. I’d be absolutely devastated if their bond broke over this, so I’ll just keep a very close eye on them in case Apollo shows any symptoms of his own. I’m sure my vet had good intentions, but I think they’re ultimately more stressed out alone than they are together.

Stretters91

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Okay - thank you all so much! I’ve put them back together and they instantly seem so much happier. I’d be absolutely devastated if their bond broke over this, so I’ll just keep a very close eye on them in case Apollo shows any symptoms of his own. I’m sure my vet had good intentions, but I think they’re ultimately more stressed out alone than they are together.

they told us to separate them for 1 week , and us being New Guinea pig owners , thought that’s what we had to do , but was the biggest regret we have with them , we have tried to rebond them and it’s just not worked , they seem happy enough that they see each other :)
I do wish they were together though !