Seperate Cages But Same Floor Time?

cfarrell25

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have four guinea pigs, and they are in pairs in different cages. I started off with the two and adopted one more which didn't get along with the two original ones so I bought a fourth one to keep the adopted one company. I'm wondering if although they are in different cages, could I attempt to have them all together during floor time - the original pair are approximately 8 months old, the adopted one is about a 11 months old and the last one is maybe 3-4 months old (all boars). Any idea if it's possible or even worth it to have the four interact together during floor time? Even though the adopted one didn't get along with the other two at first, his behavior has changed a lot for the best since he got accustomed to his new home and got a buddy.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I am afraid they can't be together during floor time.
For guinea pigs there is no such thing as 'playtime' with other guinea pigs.
If they are not already bonded, then every time they are put together they have to work to establish a hierarchy - this is especially true for boars.
So putting them together would b stressful for the piggies and most likely lead to fights.
It could also stress the relationship your pairs have with each other.

I just wouldn't take the risk.
It sounds like you have done everything right and managed to establish 2 well bonded pairs, so I would stick with that.

Reenie

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Don't do it! Lol. I had my two newer boys out for floor time, and thought it would be nice if they could SEE the terrible trio, so I loosened off the correx so they could chat through the grids. All was going well, lots of sniffing and happy noises......until Chicco, who likes to exert his dominance at the best of times, decided that the on-going quest to make sure Groucho stays firmly at the bottom of the pecking order, needed to be stepped up a notch to show the new guys how tough he is. The next 5 minutes was the closest they've come to needing split up, with chattering, yawning, lunging, squealing...you get the picture. I quickly put the correx back up, and draped a towel across the cage so that Chicco and Groucho couldn't see each other for 10 minutes or so. When I took it down, and threw in some pellets, all was back to normal. So in conclusion, and to repeat my earlier plea, Don't do it!! Lol