• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I seperate my two boats so close to getting them

Kitkat888

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased two males from a farm that, due to covid had to find new homes for their huge herd. I've been told both guinea pig are around 5 months although Elvis is significantly larger than Bob. Although they both seemed to be living harmoniously since we got them home, once they were put outside in a run, an argument began over the piggie igloo (it looked like) and a full blown battle ensued. Resulting in Bob being badly injured and having to seperate them. We will introduce them again tomorrow and hope for the best. I have the option of returning Elvis back to the farm and finding a more compatible companion for Bob, we don't want to, but we don't have the space for another hutch. Should I hope they will get on or look into another avenue. My 5 year old son saw the fight and was very upset by it and we want to try and avoid further injury to the pigs and upset to my son. Anyone's help or advice would be gratefully appreciated as in an ideal world we would keep both Bob and Elvis as they are so beautiful. Tia.

Any change in environment will set off territory disputes and a reestablishing of their relationship. It is essential with boars that they have a large cage and at least two of every item to stop any hogging of food or beds.

If this has caused a problem in their relationship then they will not go back together. Any full on fight is normally a break down of the bond and then permanent separation.
If you are going to attempt a reintroduction then it needs to be done on neutral territory.

Thank you. I'll be buying a separate igloo tomorrow and try an introduction in their new run which is arriving tomorrow. As the injury Bob sustained drew blood is all hope lost?

Thank you. I'll be buying a separate igloo tomorrow and try an introduction in their new run which is arriving tomorrow. As the injury Bob sustained drew blood is all hope lost?

Potentially yes.
If the injury was accidental during to being cornered then it may be fine but if they don’t get on, then it is over for them.

Pigloos or any enclosed hideys aren’t recommended for boars. Boars need hideys with two exits (so tunnels are best) this is to prevent Being cornered by a piggy which can cause fights

Thank you I hadn't realised about the pigloos. Sadly the fight was full on teeth chattering, rearring, chasing from both. Neither was going to back down and sadly they both attacked each other with poor Bob coming off the worse. I've never had guinea pigs behave like this before so it's all new. I've been very lucky to have boar's living harmonious together. I will See how tomorrow goes but I'm not hopeful. Thank you for your advice

Thank you I hadn't realised about the pigloos. Sadly the fight was full on teeth chattering, rearring, chasing from both. Neither was going to back down and sadly they both attacked each other with poor Bob coming off the worse. I've never had guinea pigs behave like this before so it's all new. I've been very lucky to have boar's living harmonious together. I will See how tomorrow goes but I'm not hopeful. Thank you for your advice

If it was a deliberate full on fight then please do not attempt to reintroduce them, it will most likely end in another fight

Elvis sadly is being returned to his original home as predicted the situation didn't improve. Ironically when Bob was with Elvis he was eating better and exploring his surroundings. Since his seperation from Elvis he's not doing anything. Should I try and get Bob another companion from the same herd or is it too soon? I'm very anxious and don't want a sad, depressed and lonely piggy in the family

Elvis sadly is being returned to his original home as predicted the situation didn't improve. Ironically when Bob was with Elvis he was eating better and exploring his surroundings. Since his seperation from Elvis he's not doing anything. Should I try and get Bob another companion from the same herd or is it too soon? I'm very anxious and don't want a sad, depressed and lonely piggy in the family

Getting him another companion is the best idea.
The right companion comes down to character compatibility though so do be aware that if you just go and get another piggy yourself, you could still run into the same problems again if they arent compatible. If you could take him dating at a rescue centre that will enable him to choose his own friend and result in a better bond.

Back