• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Shy Guinea Pigs

Hannab Parish

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
We've had our guinea pigs for 1 and a half days, and they seem to be settling in well. Yesterday they were too scared to even leave their travel box, but now they're exploring a bit and coming out.
However cookie who is noticably the shyer pig of the two is not as confident. She hides behind a tunnel toy thing when we come in, and she will dart quite quickly to hiding places. But cocoa who is the more confident one has sort of taken the lead. They are both females and fairly young. I was wondering if anyone had any ways to help her with her confidence and make us seem less intimidating? My little sister is 8 and loves talking to them and has done it quite a bit. We tried poking some cucumber through the bars and Cocoa came very close, but I moved my arm a little and it scared him. Basically does anyone have any tips for bonding with them. We are first time owners and in need of some advice.

Hello
Please have a good read of these guides which will help you to understand guinea pig behaviour and how to help your new arrivals settle in.
Guinea pigs are prey animals and scare very easily. To become friends with you they need to overcome their natural fears. You will need to approach their cage slowly, quietly but announcing your arrival - as if talking to a baby or young child in a calm gentle and quiet voice. Avoid making shadows fall across them or any sudden move that makes them jump. Calmness, patience and bravery with veggies will usually win them over, but it can take a while.

Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

It is natural for Guinea Pigs to be shy at first. It's like going to a stranger's house, you're pretty scared to do stuff, because you don't exactly know what they will do or how they will react. Give them time and they should running all over the place.

Guinea pigs are very cautious animals and some are naturally more cautious than others. I've certainly had pigs who were bolder and more outgoing and pigs who were far more nervous and alert. You may always see a difference in personality there, but in time even the shy one will adapt to your presence. It takes time and some gentle persistence on your part for them to figure out you won't hurt them.

Back