• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sizing Advice

Taegijoon

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi gius!

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here with our current cage. We have a 2 x 5 CC cage with a 2 x 2 left on one side and a patio on the other. My boyfriend wanted to expand the cage and make it into an L shape. So he added more grids and it's now a 2 x 2 extension kinda thing. So I wanted to know with that extension, how many piggies can be in the entire cage? And if we upgrade that extension to a 2 x 3, how many piggies can go in the entire cage. So if it makes sense, it's a 2 x 5 cage with an additional 2 x 2 to make an L shape.

I have this size & shape (7x2 L shape) and I think 5 sows would be the recommended maximum but I have three in there and think 5 might feel a bit crowded

I’ve added our link to our cage size guide. A 5x2 is enough for 3 females. When adding more piggies, you have to add an extra 1x2 grids per new pig. So 6x2 For 4 piggies, 7x2 for 5 piggies etc. It isn’t quite as straight forward as that though as you don’t want to overcrowd so while in theory that size cage is enough for that many piggies, You are better to have bigger cage and under fill it - lack of space leads to tensions and potential fall outs.

Cage Size Guide

I’ve added our link to our cage size guide. A 5x2 is enough for 3 females. When adding more piggies, you have to add an extra 1x2 grids per new pig. So 6x2 For 4 piggies, 7x2 for 5 piggies etc. It isn’t quite as straight forward as that though as you don’t want to overcrowd so while in theory that size cage is enough for that many piggies, You are better to have bigger cage and under fill it - lack of space leads to tensions and potential fall outs.

Cage Size Guide
omg! I'm sorry! there's been a mistake on my part, we actually have a 2 x 6 lol! When you said 3 sows i was like "?" but then I re-read and saw i made a mistake lol so we currently have 6 sows. I wanted to know with the L shaped cage, how we can accommodate for our 2 newest piggies. They're currently on quarantine from the girls so we want to expand in the time they are kept separate . :)

omg! I'm sorry! there's been a mistake on my part, we actually have a 2 x 6 lol! When you said 3 sows i was like "?" but then I re-read and saw i made a mistake lol so we currently have 6 sows. I wanted to know with the L shaped cage, how we can accommodate for our 2 newest piggies. They're currently on quarantine from the girls so we want to expand in the time they are kept separate . :)
wait idk if I made sense there lol. So we have a 2 x 6 and had 4 pigs at the time. We got 2 additional pigs and my bf then expanded by adding the 2 x 2 L shaped extension :) @piggiesandbuns

wait idk if I made sense there lol. So we have a 2 x 6 and had 4 pigs at the time. We got 2 additional pigs and my bf then expanded by adding the 2 x 2 L shaped extension :) @piggiesandbuns
So now you have a cage that is 2 x 8?
The easiest way to work it out is to count how many grids make up the ground floor of your cage.
So if you have a 2 x 6 then that should use 16 grids in total.
If you added a 2 x 2 extension that should use an additional 6 grids.
So in total your cage (ground floor only) is made up of 22 grids?

So now you have a cage that is 2 x 8?
The easiest way to work it out is to count how many grids make up the ground floor of your cage.
So if you have a 2 x 6 then that should use 16 grids in total.
If you added a 2 x 2 extension that should use an additional 6 grids.
So in total your cage (ground floor only) is made up of 22 grids?
Yes! 22 in total 🤗

I have a 7 x 2 C&C and have 3 sows and sometimes it feels crowded - altho its a lot bigger than it was before ( 5 x 2 )

We had a 5 piggies, a lively little husboar and 4 ladies, in a 2×8 (a 5x2 with a 3x2 added on the side) but when we added a 6th lady piggy a few months later we added another 2x3 extension. The 8x2 L-shape was fine but occasionally felt a bit busy for 5, but it might work ok without a husboar or with ladies only, depending on relationships and temperament! When some of my piggies are in season we are very glad that they can choose to be 12ft away from each other lol :)

We had a 5 piggies, a lively little husboar and 4 ladies, in a 2×8 (a 5x2 with a 3x2 added on the side) but when we added a 6th lady piggy a few months later we added another 2x3 extension. The 8x2 L-shape was fine but occasionally felt a bit busy for 5, but it might work ok without a husboar or with ladies only, depending on relationships and temperament! When some of my piggies are in season we are very glad that they can choose to be 12ft away from each other lol :)
ok cool! I do want to add one extra grid to the 2 x 2 to be a 2 x 3. We're thinking of ways to make it a 3 grid cage for more width, since the girls may want a wider space instead of a longer space. Thanks so much!

Back