• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sleeping? Or is there something wrong?

WinterAddams

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig Nymeria was sleeping, I think, on top of hay, she was laying on her side, eyes open but breathing in a way that made her body move back and forth (not sure how else to explain it). I could see her breathing, it seemed normal and everything.
I touched her and she did nothing, I tried petting her a bit and she continued. After a bit she woke up and was fine, I checked her breathing and all was okay. She isn't overweight or anything either.
I've noticed this motion when she's not doing anything and just sitting or laying down. My other piggy Bubbles does something similar too I believe.
So is this normal and due to their rapid breathing? Was she just sleeping? Or is there something wrong?

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Keep an eye on it, look out for any runny nose or crusty eyes, make sure she is eating and pooing plenty. Where are you keeping your pigs, it is a fairly got day.

WinterAddams

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Keep an eye on it, look out for any runny nose or crusty eyes, make sure she is eating and pooing plenty. Where are you keeping your pigs, it is a fairly got day.
I keep them in a cage, they don't get a lot of heat or cold.
They both seem fine and don't have any signs of an infection. I've noticed this today but I think they've been doing it for a while. It's not very noticeable movement and it only happens if they're not doing anything.
I'll keep an eye on them though.

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I keep them in a cage, they don't get a lot of heat or cold.
They both seem fine and don't have any signs of an infection. I've noticed this today but I think they've been doing it for a while. It's not very noticeable movement and it only happens if they're not doing anything.
I'll keep an eye on them though.
They are most probably just deep sleeping