• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sneezing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalaxyPiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've had my two boys for nearly a year now. I have noticed in the past few days that one of my guinea pigs, Duke, has been sneezing a bit more than he used to. He doesn't seem to be constantly sneezing but he never used to and I'm worried he may be ill. He hasn't shown any other symptoms but he has been scratching more often (like every
So often). Same with the sneezing, he doesn't do it often yet he never used to. I don't know what to do to be honest. I've taken them inside because it is getting very cold out and I wonder if it is because of the cold temperatures that has caused this. Can I get some advice? Thanks if you can!

Hi and welcome!

Could you please add your country, state/province or UK county to your details. We have got members from all over the world; and in the case of your problem, your local climate may play a role. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Could you please answer these questions:
- are your guinea pigs indoors guinea pigs?
- have you recently started to turn on the heating or have their been any changes in the climate/air conditioning etc?
- have you opened a new bag of hay or changed any products?
- have you recently been using scent sticks, air fresheners or new scented body care products?

Thank you!

Hi and welcome!

Could you please add your country, state/province or UK county to your details. We have got members from all over the world; and in the case of your problem, your local climate may play a role. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Could you please answer these questions:
- are your guinea pigs indoors guinea pigs?
- have you recently started to turn on the heating or have their been any changes in the climate/air conditioning etc?
- have you opened a new bag of hay or changed any products?
- have you recently been using scent sticks, air fresheners or new scented body care products?

Thank you!

Hey! I live in England. I have moved my guinea pigs indoors for a few days because I am building a shed for their cage. I am using I think it's wood shavings !but it's the stuff suitable for guinea pigs I did check! I don't normally use it which could be the reason...for most of the year they have remained outside and it is considerably warmer inside than outside now.

Hey! I live in England. I have moved my guinea pigs indoors for a few days because I am building a shed for their cage. I am using I think it's wood shavings !but it's the stuff suitable for guinea pigs I did check! I don't normally use it which could be the reason...for most of the year they have remained outside and it is considerably warmer inside than outside now.

Thank you for coming back - it is likely to be the change of surroundings, especially any drier/heated indoors air, that can also account for increased itching. Please make sure that when you move them outside again that you do so during a spell with frost free nights, so they can acclimatise better to the colder conditions again.
There are alternatives to woodshavings like fitch: Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

I would recommend to just keep an eye on the situation for the time being, but to seek vet care promptly if the sneezing/itching is getting worse or if you notice other signs of a URI or bald patches in the fur appearing.

Thank you for coming back - it is likely to be the change of surroundings, especially any drier/heated indoors air, that can also account for increased itching. Please make sure that when you move them outside again that you do so during a spell with frost free nights, so they can acclimatise better to the colder conditions again.
There are alternatives to woodshavings like fitch: Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

I would recommend to just keep an eye on the situation for the time being, but to seek vet care promptly if the sneezing/itching is getting worse or if you notice other signs of a URI or bald patches in the fur appearing.

Thank you very much for helping, I did expect it to be something to do with that because other than the occasional sneezing and itching duke seems happy and normal! I will take your advice and make sure that they acclimatise to the frosty temperatures well.
Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back