• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

stepping on eachother?

mackenzieluvslife

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello! i’m not sure if i’m doing this right as this is my first post here:)
i just got my two female piggies a few weeks ago. one black and brown named Mocha, and one White and Cream colores named Latte. i’m very confused with their behaviour.
at first, i thought they got along great. they always cuddle together and Mocha always follows Latte around.
Latte is obviously the dominant one, but as of recently i’ve noticed she climbs on top of Mocha and it really freaks her out. Mocha always starts squealing and i seperate them but never know what to do. if someone could help me out it’d be great :) i’ll put some cute pictures of them both. 4E9F9A51-BF7C-400E-BF47-F45385D8BF84.jpeg

Attachments

• FF847C76-C3DD-48AA-AA38-90503F8FBCEB.jpeg
    FF847C76-C3DD-48AA-AA38-90503F8FBCEB.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 578B1940-A429-45A4-AA34-3C99B2995ACE.jpeg
    578B1940-A429-45A4-AA34-3C99B2995ACE.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 163836AE-4B52-4D7C-9D2B-0ABAF6ADAA02.jpeg
    163836AE-4B52-4D7C-9D2B-0ABAF6ADAA02.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 4
  • AA1C5B56-483E-4E27-A8BA-F82E2CBECC79.jpeg
    AA1C5B56-483E-4E27-A8BA-F82E2CBECC79.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 5
  • F8CF5837-351D-42CA-8A76-91FE45017B1F.jpeg
    F8CF5837-351D-42CA-8A76-91FE45017B1F.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 002CE6B1-E6F7-47D8-AE86-955A249AC387.jpeg
    002CE6B1-E6F7-47D8-AE86-955A249AC387.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to the forum
Mounting is a very normal dominance behaviour. Your piggies are simply establishing their hierarchy and relationship. Please do not separate them when they do this as it interrupts the process. You will see them mount throughout their entire lives. It is normal and nothing to worry about. The squealing is submission - mocha is telling latte that she accepts that she is in charge. This is a good thing as it means they are happy together and understand their place.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Hi and welcome

What little cuties!

Please double check the gender of piggies that you really have got two sows. Mis-sexing is unfortunately anything but uncommon.
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Sows generally only dominance mount at the very start of a relationship or when they are in season, so we need to get that out of the way first.
The correct response to any dominance behaviour is submission squealing. it is NOT pain but a very effective 'I am not disputing your claim!'.
Unfortunately when you split up your piggies, they then have to start afresh to reaffirm their group and re-establish their hierarchy...

Please take the time to read these guides that show and list typical dominance behaviours so you can understand what your piggies are about and are no longer upset or feel the need to separate now that they have worked past their initial fear of being in an entirely new environment and are feeling confident enough to establish their group:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Guinea pigs are not naturally born cuddly pets; they are prey animals with big personalities. Unfortunately when watching online videos, you have to be aware that they do not represent the reality of guinea pig life - they show what humans want to see of guinea pigs. And that leads to humans ending up with unrealistic expectations.
Here is more information on prey animal instincts, how to work past them and how to speak with your guinea pigs in their own social bosdy language instead expecting them to learn 'human' first:
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Welcome to the forum
Some aspects of piggy behaviour can make us anxious until we learn that it’s perfectly normal.
As @Piggies&buns has said, yours are just sorting out their hierarchy.
They are just absolutely gorgeous

Welcome to the forum
Mounting is a very normal dominance behaviour. Your piggies are simply establishing their hierarchy and relationship. Please do not separate them when they do this as it interrupts the process. You will see them mount throughout their entire lives. It is normal and nothing to worry about. The squealing is submission - mocha is telling latte that she accepts that she is in charge. This is a good thing as it means they are happy together and understand their place.

thank you so much! i’ll make sure i don’t separate them next time!

Welcome to the forum
Some aspects of piggy behaviour can make us anxious until we learn that it’s perfectly normal.
As @Piggies&buns has said, yours are just sorting out their hierarchy.
They are just absolutely gorgeous
thank you! <3 i was super scared they weren’t getting along. i knew about dominance in piggies but i always panic whenever mocha makes any loud noise since she always seems more skiddish and afraid. as long as it’s normal and she’s not in any pain i’m happy. :) i’m a huge pushover when it comes to my pets and their happiness.

Back