Sudden Cold Shoulder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginnyandpia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had my Ginny Pig since July 11th 16', she was about 2 months when I got her and two others at my boarding school. I just recently left, bringing her home and having to leave the other two as they didn't belong to me. She was home for about two before I came home for good, and when I came home I brought a baby guinea pig (Pia) with me... now she is giving me the cold shoulder and showing no emotion whatsoever when I hold her, and runs when I go to pick her up which she's never done before. Should I be concerned? Or will she come around?

Ps. Ginny Pig is transgender (she was born as a boy but I consider her a girl, please don't judge) and Pia Pig is a girl through and through :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had my Ginny Pig since July 11th 16', she was about 2 months when I got her and two others at my boarding school. I just recently left, bringing her home and having to leave the other two as they didn't belong to me. She was home for about two before I came home for good, and when I came home I brought a baby guinea pig (Pia) with me... now she is giving me the cold shoulder and showing no emotion whatsoever when I hold her, and runs when I go to pick her up which she's never done before. Should I be concerned? Or will she come around?

Ps. Ginny Pig is transgender (she was born as a boy but I consider her a girl, please don't judge) and Pia Pig is a girl through and through :)
Good that they are not together - Pia would get pregnant very quickly.
Ginny needs to be neutered and go through a full 6 weeks post neutering-operation wait before they can life together (I have the baby from a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post-op boar - not one of mine - living with me, so it can really happen).

Guinea pigs are prey animals; your little Pia needs time to find her feet, settle in and slowly build up trust. Many people mistake a docile "cuddly" piggy when they meet it with enjoying what is happening to them. In fact, these guinea pigs are just trying instinctively to be boring and unresponsive to a predator that is trying to play with them, in the hopes that the predator will lose interest to allow them to escape and live another day. It is actually a step up in the right direction if Pia is no longer doing that.
You can learn more about guinea pig instincts and how to use guinea pig body language to slowly make friends with her and build up trust. Please be aware that this takes time.
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

You can find more information about guinea pig behaviour etc. via this link here: " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

flowerfairy

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is probably a result of the massive changes that Ginny is going through. A new home, separated from her friends and now a new guinea pig to smell/see.

She should settle with time, talking and gentle handling. Good luck. Hope the bonding goes well once Ginny has been neutered.

Ginnyandpia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your helpful responses!
I'm so happy I joined this forum and I am currently looking into getting Ginny Pig neutered :)

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm so glad you joined our helpful forum. If you do not want babies you absolutely must neuter Ginny pig and wait a full 6 weeks before you introduce Ginny to Pia.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.