• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sudden Death?

uprabbitry

New Born Pup
Reaction score
What can cause sudden death in multiple guinea pigs? In less than 12 hours my 2 male guinea pigs went from perfect health to dead? What can cause this? A week ago i also lost my third male and i just assumed it was of old age and didn't think anything to much of why. I also have a female in a different cage but she is fine or seems fine

I’m not too sure to be honest. Heat attacks can cause sudden death. Of maybe underlying health issues. Were they all well?

I’m sorry for your losses.

I’m not too sure to be honest. Heat attacks can cause sudden death. Of maybe underlying health issues. Were they all well?

I’m sorry for your losses.
thank you! Yes they all seemed well they were eating and drinking normally.

Thank you! I don't think so they haven't had anything new and have been in the same cage for over a year.

May be it’s just a coincidence that they died at the same time. Guinea pigs hide illness very well and often it’s too late by the time we spot something is wrong. Or something could have spooked them.

Sadly without an upsetting post Mortem, it’s very unlikely you will ever find out what caused them to pass :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently loss one of my fur babys one of my trio of boars age 14 months. He suddenly had diarrhoea and despite eating he did hide his illness very well. It wasnt till the latter end when he started to sleep more and then he died. Still didnt find out what was actually wrong after 3 vet trips.

Guinea pigs do hide there illness really well. It could of been a infection of some sort or could of been respiratory infection which goes straight into pneumonia fluid on the lungs.

Even bloat can kill them. It's so difficult with these little guys. I would take everything out and give a deep clean and wash all there blankets on a 90. I cant imagine losing 2 in a short space of time its so sad. Heart breaking. (Hugs )

I'm so sorry! With two deaths around the same time, I would wonder about something environmental... could they have eaten something? Sudden temperature change? Air impurities? New cleaning products in the immediate vicinity? I would also wonder about something communicable that spread very quickly, before you could see any signs, like a really nasty respiratory infection, which can make pigs go from zero to passing away within hours (the last piggie I lost from a respiratory bug was fine in the morning, seemed lethargic in the afternoon, passed in the evening despite a vet visit/antibiotics.) Again, ((HUGS)) and so sorry, it's hard when there's no obvious reason for their passing and losing two so quickly is especially heartbreaking!

Back