• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sach15

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hiya
I have one lilac pig, a pink eyed white, a torteshell and a ginger and white. One has pink ears, one has a ginger ear and a pink ear, another has a pink ear and a black ear and the lilac has grey. I was wondering do they need to have sun cream rubbed on their ears as they're out in the day in a half shaded run but do sit out in the sun for a bit. If so what is the best sun cream to use?

Didn't know that you can use suncream on guinea pigs! One of my girls name Toffee do get slight burn on the ear. I kept applying a tad bit of vaseline to heal but i prefer to protect rather than heal. I'll keep my eye on this thread!

I used to do it to, for all of my pigs when they were outside. Childrens suncream. I never seemed to have any obvious ill effects.

I wonder if you could get an all natural one, or vegan so it doesn't have any nasty ingredients in it.

Thanks guys! I have checked their ears and there's no signs of burning but I just want to prevent it from happening in the future! I'll have a look online a paraben free sun cream

For my pigs, I use this one: All Natural Organic Face & Body Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 from Kiss My Face. It has been very well tolerated even by my boar, who is very prone to allergies and skin irritations. In the past, used extra virgin coconut oil, but our vet mentioned that some types of cancers, including melanoma and other skin cancers, have been occurring much more often in pigs than before, so I wanted to up their protection.

I wonder if you could get an all natural one, or vegan so it doesn't have any nasty ingredients in it.
Can I just point out that all ingredients are chemicals and just because it is natural does not mean it doesn't have potential allergens in it. There are plenty of plants that produce allergic reactions - perfectly natural. Rant over (forgive me - I am a chemist by training and this always annoys me!) x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back