• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Three males and a female?

Goatgirl8

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two male guinea pigs, and my sister is looking into getting a pair of guinea pigs from a rescue. However, the pair is a male and a female, and we are planning on housing them together: should we wait until a male pair arrives in the rescue? Would only fixing the female work? We are planning on fixing the female anyway. Would a chicken wire wall separating them work? Maybe separate cages would work? what would you guys suggest?

You will not be able to put them together. You need to keep your Male pair and the new male female pair completely separate from each other.
You can only keep two males together. Any more than that and they will fight. You also cannot keep more than one Male with any number of females.
Putting a Male/female pair any where near your Male pair could break the bond of your Male pair. Chicken wire will not be enough.
Spaying a female is a huge operation. It is easier and less risky to neuter males but either way, you will not be able to put any other piggies in with your Male pair.

Oh holy hell. Please put the brakes on here.
No, 3 males and 1 female you are going to have huge problems also, ‘fixing’ the female is not really the way to go. Like a human it’s more complicated than the female and it will cost a lot of money. Get your males neutered and don’t mix that kind of group.
Sorry but felt urgently to respond.

No boars more than 2 in a group will work (3 males together very rarely works), especially with a sow as well. If your sister is planning to get her own, do not mix it with yours. Also, it is way safer to get the boar neutered than getting the sow spayed. Spay for sows are only done if medically needed.

Oh holy hell. Please put the brakes on here.
No, 3 males and 1 female you are going to have huge problems also, ‘fixing’ the female is not really the way to go. Like a human it’s more complicated than the female and it will cost a lot of money. Get your males neutered and don’t mix that kind of group.
Sorry but felt urgently to respond.
It's alright! so i should definitely not get the pair or if i do i should get separate cages and neuter the male only?

You can get the Male/female pair but they need to be kept in a separate cage to your Male pair at all times and preferably well away from your Male pair. The smell of female pheromones in close proximity to your Male pair, could cause your boys to fight.
If they are already in a pair, then the Male should already be neutered.

It’s good you checked first. It would be a huge disaster if you’d gone ahead and done it.
You must not do anything to risk the bond of your male pair.

Thank you all, i didn't know it was such a bad idea, but you guys helped a ton! I'm not a very experienced owner yet, as you can tell.
We always want new and wannabe piggy owners to inquire and research first before getting them, like what you are doing. This means they are being responsible owners and caring enough to want what is best for the piggies. :tu::tu:

This forum is a mine of information and we’d far rather answer your questions now than have to help you deal with a potential disaster.
You would definitely need to keep both pairs apart from each other. And the boar in the boar / sow pair must be neutered otherwise the sow will become pregnant and you’ll have even mor piggies to deal with!

Back