• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Too Much Space? Not Enough Space? Shed Advise Needed!

PiggieNinja

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ok. so. (please bare with me)
I'm getting a shed for my piggies (8x6 ) and i was planning on giving them access to the entire shed floor plus an 'L' shaped shelf which will go along two of the sides (connected via ramp)
but i just wondered if it is worth it? now dont get me wrong I LOVE MY GUINEA PIGS MORE THAN I LOVE MYSELF (just needed to emphasise that) so please don't say i don't care for them but i just wondered if just the shelf would be enough for 3 (soon to be 4) guinea pigs and then i could allow them access to the shed for floor time? (the shelf space would be equivalent to 12'x2.5'/ 3.6m x 0.76m)
my thought process is that piggies are pretty lazy animals- even though they are 'active' for most of the day that's usually just to wander to the food bowl and back to their house. and its not like they wont have plenty of room on the shelf to popcorn and run around. mine (i don't know about yours ) only tend to be interested in their surroundings for the first 30min after i've rearranged it all, meaning that access to the entire floor would be better for 1 hour intervals when they are entertained by exploring something new than leaving them there permanently when they will sit in one house (or many two if they're feeling adventurous) for the entire day .
and by the way i do have a probable use for the floor so dont think I'm just giving them less space for the sake of it - but ill discuss that on my next thread.....
i really apreciate any thoughts and advise you have as i just want the best for my piggies :)

I *personally* would give them the whole floor space permanently, moving around and adding/taking away tunnels etc on a regular basis to keep their interest.

Do what works for you. I find it a lot easier having mine up on shelves, well tables but up any way. Much easier for cleaning out.

:) Lucky piggies, sounds like they are going to have access to a great space! How many are you fitting on the shelved in area?

:) Lucky piggies, sounds like they are going to have access to a great space! How many are you fitting on the shelved in area?
well i currently have 3 but I'm hoping to get another soon when i find to right one:) the shelved area will be 24 square feet so i hope they like it XD

I have 6 in a shed with run attached and they love it

Sounds great. I prefer mine up on tables instead of the floor, you could build a U shaped table you can walk in the middle of.

Sounds great. I prefer mine up on tables instead of the floor, you could build a you shaped table you can walk in the middle of.
a 'u' shaped shelf is defiantly something i hadn't thought of but i think it may leave me with not much room to walk around in the shed itsself. although as more people suggest it I'm starting to lean towards having them on the shelf and only letting them down the ramp to the floor for floor time so thanks for the help! :)

Back