• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Trimming Baby Nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guineapigfeet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What age should you start trimming nails? I don't want them to grow too much as half of them (out of three pigs) are black and long quicks are a pain in the bum! My girls are about 6 months old and still have needley baby claws, apart from one claw on one pig which is a bit thicker and looks like it might be slightly curly (had to be on the wriggliest pig!) but it's still short.
Does any one have any tips on making it as stress free as possible? For piggies and us! I've only ever cut pigs' claws as grown ups and they were much more used to being handled.

I will also be following this thread.
Our piggies are only a couple of months old, so I would be interested to know when I need to start trimming nails.

I shall be following too! My piggies have incredibly sharp but short claws - my hands and chest are constantly scratched!

I went for it today, after their weekly weigh in. I think they knew as none of them sat still in the weighing tube, which they are normally very good at.

After they backed out of the tube or been tipped out, my OH held them on his lap and tipped them up so their backs were against his stomach and their bums were on his lap still. I did tiny snips of each claw on each back foot of each pig! They were a bit wriggley and I had to tell Chewie that if she kept wriggling I'd cut off her toe (by accident of course! ) - she stopped wriggling! I didn't do any front feet as although they are sharp, they are very short.

The claw I though was curley isn't, at least for now, it's just a bit thicker than the others.

I tired to give them a treat afterwards but turns out Rey doesn't like apples :( BB and Chewie seemed happy though!

What age should you start trimming nails? I don't want them to grow too much as half of them (out of three pigs) are black and long quicks are a pain in the bum! My girls are about 6 months old and still have needley baby claws, apart from one claw on one pig which is a bit thicker and looks like it might be slightly curly (had to be on the wriggliest pig!) but it's still short.
Does any one have any tips on making it as stress free as possible? For piggies and us! I've only ever cut pigs' claws as grown ups and they were much more used to being handled.

Baby nails grow out at some point between 4-10 months of age. You will notice when that is the case!

What you can to do is to get them used to having their feet touched and handled right from the start whenever you cuddle them or give them skin care; that is by far the best preparation. The first nail clip is just taking off the very sharp bit right at the tip once it is grown far enough you can clip it safely. If you are very worried, you can ask your local vets to do it for you. Many clinics have nurses who will do it for you for a reasonable price. They can also show you how to best go about it.
Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails

Baby nails grow out at some point between 4-10 months of age. You will notice when that is the case!

What you can to do is to get them used to having their feet touched and handled right from the start whenever you cuddle them or give them skin care; that is by far the best preparation. The first nail clip is just taking off the very sharp bit right at the tip once it is grown far enough you can clip it safely. If you are very worried, you can ask your local vets to do it for you. Many clinics have nurses who will do it for you for a reasonable price. They can also show you how to best go about it.
Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails
Thanks, we manged pretty well today with the back feet, just snipped off the sharp points. I used to do all of my pigs' claws, but now I'm a bit out of practice, especially with wrigglers, but they weren't too bad really. Front feet may take more time but they don't seem to have started growing out yet

I just take the sharp point off at the very tip & do that once a week :) That way it keeps the quick down too. I also find it's better to do any picking up/triiming nails/grooming after they've had their veggies etc, as they are less wriggly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back