• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Two Newly Bonded Pigs In One Carrier?

Shelby._.

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a new update! So I found a rescue and it is 4 hours away from my home. I can’t drive yet but we will be in that city in April for a horse expo. So if Gus is stilling doing ok in the next 2 and 1/2 months and everything works out with the rescue I may be adopting a friend for Gus which would be amazing. This leads to my question which is could/should a newly bonded pair of guinea pigs be in a carrier togeather for that long of time? The rescue allows you to bring your pig so that they can help you find a good match but I know that they may not work out every kink at the shelter.

I would hate for them to get in a squabble in the carrier as it obviously doesn’t have a huge open space for them to get away from each other. Gus has traveled that distance before with his previous cage mate and did fine. I just want to be fully prepared in case I am able to adopt from this place. Thank you for all your help. It is really nice to have a place like this to go to. I’ve owned guinea pigs for almost three years and did tons of research before hand but there are somethings you need to learn from experience so this forum is literally my best friend lol :tu:

I've adopted 2 separate piggies as friends for existing piggies and they were bonded and came home, the same day, in the same carrier :)

I have a new update! So I found a rescue and it is 4 hours away from my home. I can’t drive yet but we will be in that city in April for a horse expo. So if Gus is stilling doing ok in the next 2 and 1/2 months and everything works out with the rescue I may be adopting a friend for Gus which would be amazing. This leads to my question which is could/should a newly bonded pair of guinea pigs be in a carrier togeather for that long of time? The rescue allows you to bring your pig so that they can help you find a good match but I know that they may not work out every kink at the shelter.

I would hate for them to get in a squabble in the carrier as it obviously doesn’t have a huge open space for them to get away from each other. Gus has traveled that distance before with his previous cage mate and did fine. I just want to be fully prepared in case I am able to adopt from this place. Thank you for all your help. It is really nice to have a place like this to go to. I’ve owned guinea pigs for almost three years and did tons of research before hand but there are somethings you need to learn from experience so this forum is literally my best friend lol :tu:

I prefer to travel longer distances with separate cages with newly dated and not yet fully bonded piggies, as long as they can still hear and smell each other. It is very easy for one to spook suddenly during the trip, which can lead to a fight with bites and a fall-out. It is much better to re-introduce on neutral ground again in your home and follow normal bonding procedures.
Travelling with guinea pigs
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

I prefer to travel longer distances with separate cages with newly dated and not yet fully bonded piggies, as long as they can still hear and smell each other. It is very easy for one to spook suddenly during the trip, which can lead to a fight with bites and a fall-out. It is much better to re-introduce on neutral ground again in your home and follow normal bonding procedures.
Travelling with guinea pigs
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Thank you! I figured I would probably have to put them in two separate carriers. But I’m glad to have it confirmed :nod:

Back