• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Two Poorly Pigs... Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoannaMarie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my Ted had a bladder operation a week ago last Friday, he really suffered and we all thought he was on his way out at one stage. He started to improve last Wednesday but he is still not himself, hardly eating anything. I am hand feeding every morning and evening but isn't improving much. Any advice? Anything more I can do? His poos are quite wet and smaller than normal but I'm presuming this is because he is having a higher proportion of fresh veg than normal (he doesn't seem interested in dry food) and not eating as much. Any help would be great. I don't want him to lose any more weight as he has already lost 150 grams during his illness and I can feel his ribs and hips it's really upsetting.

My second problem is Alan, who I thought also had a bladder issue as he started squeaking when he was weeing, and who has been on antibiotics since Thursday, seems to be deteriorating. He is eating fine and still seems perky bouncing around but he is really crying when he's weeing, a lot more than he was last week. Surely the antibiotics should have taken effect by now? Also, the vet when he tested him couldn't find blood in his wee but said that as he was crying when he was weeing it was probably an infection. I feel sick to my stomach, I love my pigs so much, they are the first pets I've ever had but to be honest have been ill with one thing and another ever since I got them. I just want to have well guinea pigs I don't spend sleepless nights worrying about. x

I would advise u have your bladder op pig seen by a vet as he should be improving by now and eating better- he may be uncomfortable somewhere. As for the other piggy i would give him some loxicom if u have any as hes obviously in pain- please let us know if u have any and what weight he is so we can give u an idea of dosing if he hasnt had it before. Provided he is still passin urine and decent amounts and still eating etc i would get him checked at the vet when u can next get an appointment as he may need reevaluated.

So my Ted had a bladder operation a week ago last Friday, he really suffered and we all thought he was on his way out at one stage. He started to improve last Wednesday but he is still not himself, hardly eating anything. I am hand feeding every morning and evening but isn't improving much. Any advice? Anything more I can do? His poos are quite wet and smaller than normal but I'm presuming this is because he is having a higher proportion of fresh veg than normal (he doesn't seem interested in dry food) and not eating as much. Any help would be great. I don't want him to lose any more weight as he has already lost 150 grams during his illness and I can feel his ribs and hips it's really upsetting.

My second problem is Alan, who I thought also had a bladder issue as he started squeaking when he was weeing, and who has been on antibiotics since Thursday, seems to be deteriorating. He is eating fine and still seems perky bouncing around but he is really crying when he's weeing, a lot more than he was last week. Surely the antibiotics should have taken effect by now? Also, the vet when he tested him couldn't find blood in his wee but said that as he was crying when he was weeing it was probably an infection. I feel sick to my stomach, I love my pigs so much, they are the first pets I've ever had but to be honest have been ill with one thing and another ever since I got them. I just want to have well guinea pigs I don't spend sleepless nights worrying about. x

Hi!

Please have your bladder pig seen by a vet tomorrow, as soon as possible! Not picking up and loss of appetite is very worrying. Please syringe feed up to 8 times in 24 hours; the less your piggy is taking, the more often, even once or twice throughout the night. It is vital that your piggy is getting plenty of fibre; if necessary from mushed up pellets.The size and texture of the poos show that he is not getting enough and not quite the right thing. Any antibiotic is additionally appetite dampening. Has he got painkiller?
Tips For Post-operative Care
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Please ask for an x-ray for Alan in case he has got a bladder stone as well. Weigh him daily at the same time and start syringe feeding as soon as he is losing 50g or more from one day to another. Bladder issues can be tedious, so it may take several weeks on an antibiotic, but if there is no improvement or deterioration, then it is important that he is checked for a potential bladder stone or sludge sooner rather than later. What antibiotic have you been given? Is he also on a painkiller/anti-inflammatory like metacam?
Low Calcium Diet For Bladder Piggies
We also recommend vegetarian glucosamine or glucosamine-based cystease or cystophan. The latter are a food supplement for cats (the other species with frequent urinary tract problems); they are not a medication and they are now widely used by guinea pig vets, too. But they help support the natural glucosamine film on the irritated bladder walls.

Guinea Pig Vet Locator

Great advice already given. Just wanted to offer moral support to you. Hugs.

Took Ted to the vets yesterday after discovering his wound was bleeding... He gave him a thorough check and he hadn't lost any weight in the last week so I had been syringing enough food into him thankfully. He said there was no clear physical reason for him to not be eating, so he gave him a B vitamin injection to perk him up and he also put fresh stitches in to replace two that had fallen out. It worked a treat! He's started eating and perked right up, and has started pooing normally.

I think Alan us sorted too.... He is long haired and the hair from his tummy had got trapped in his willy. I trimmed the hair and he hasn't cried yet when he's had wees so fingers crossed :-) thanks again for all your help xx

I hope that he is going to recover well from now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back