• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Umbrella Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine298

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
May 16, 2016
Messages
206
Reaction score
253
Points
345
Location
Ireland
So I caught Sunny eating a part of my umbrella plant and now I'm panicking, the info online is geared towards cats and dogs and the last forum post on this topic didn't say if the plant is toxic. Can anyone advise me?
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
67,350
Reaction score
34,435
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
So I caught Sunny eating a part of my umbrella plant and now I'm panicking, the info online is geared towards cats and dogs and the last forum post on this topic didn't say if the plant is toxic. Can anyone advise me?
Sadly no information here, either. Keep an eye on Sunny for the next 24 hours, but it will hopefully not have done any damage.
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
67,350
Reaction score
34,435
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
Thanks, I'll keep you all updated!
Hopefully, it goes the same as with most houseplants - they should not be eaten and can be toxic if eaten in large amounts or regularly, but there are not often any real problems with a one-off episode. As guinea pigs don't have a vomit reflex, all you can do is keeping an eye on Sunny for the time being.
 

Celine298

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
May 16, 2016
Messages
206
Reaction score
253
Points
345
Location
Ireland
Hopefully, it goes the same as with most houseplants - they should not be eaten and can be toxic if eaten in large amounts or regularly, but there are not often any real problems with a one-off episode. As guinea pigs don't have a vomit reflex, all you can do is keeping an eye on Sunny for the time being.
He ate about a quarter of it. I'm currently waiting catch him doing a fresh pee so I can do a litmus test on it. I figure if he's going to have a problem that I'll spot it in the results!
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
67,350
Reaction score
34,435
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
Best of luck! Piggies can be such sneaks with a taste for anything they shouldn't eat! :(
 

Celine298

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
May 16, 2016
Messages
206
Reaction score
253
Points
345
Location
Ireland
Little update on Sunny!
His pee was dark last night and showing slight traces of blood and high levels of protein. But, as of this morning, his pee is clear, no blood and protein levels are back to normal! His appetite is a little off but other than that he is his normal, cheeky self.
I think we can say that if a very small dose of a toxic plant is ingested, it's highly likely they will pass the toxins out in their waste. Though I think it's a good idea that all new guinea pig owners invest in a packet of litmus paper. They're very handy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top