• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Unknown Death (please Help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoeCavyLover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My friends guinea pig died today and she doesn't know how. I know she doesn't know much about guinea pigs so I don't know if this was a long term illness. Here is the info she gave me so far
1) Hasn't been drinking
2) Not eating
3) Lying down
5) Not drooling
6) Not moving much
7) Wreathing a lot (from pain)
8) Wheeking a lot sounds of pain
9) Discharge in eyes
10) Dull fur
11) Weight loss
I really think it could be bloat or a mouth problem. Or poor living conditions. Please help! Thank you!

Sorry to hear that your friends guinea pig has died :(

There are many things that could have been the cause though - was it not taken to a vet before it died if it was showing signs of illness & pain?

If it had been taken to a vet then the vet could have had an idea of what happened. I don't think we could know for sure otherwise.

More importantly - does your friend have any other guinea pigs left?

If so, how are they doing?

I would highly recommend that if she has any remaining guinea pigs that they should be taken to the vet as soon as possible for a check up. Because these circumstances suggests to me that any remaining guinea pigs may need urgent medical help.

Sorry to hear that your friends guinea pig has died :(

There are many things that could have been the cause though - was it not taken to a vet before it died if it was showing signs of illness & pain?

If it had been taken to a vet then the vet could have had an idea of what happened. I don't think we could know for sure otherwise.

More importantly - does your friend have any other guinea pigs left?

If so, how are they doing?

I would highly recommend that if she has any remaining guinea pigs that they should be taken to the vet as soon as possible for a check up. Because these circumstances suggests to me that any remaining guinea pigs may need urgent medical help.
I Believe she has another guinea pig I don't think he was taken to the vet before he passed thanks for the advice

Poor piggy! :(

As soon as guinea pig loses more than 2 oz of weight, especially in a short space of time or if it stops eating completely, it needs to be seen by a vet - how long has the guinea pig been off its food before going into multi-organ failure? Loss of appetite is either due to the inability to process food or major pain/discomfort. Severe bloat (when a guinea pig balloons up) is extremely painful and will kill if not treated. Any major pain is also an absolute emergency.
Apathy is very much an alarm sign and constitutes an absolute emergency; it means that either the guts or the heart (or both) are not working properly.

Please step in with syringe feeding and watering promptly to prevent the guts from closing down before you can see a vet and to keep a guinea pig alive until medication can kick in and it is well enough again to eat on its own and hold its weight.

Can you please make sure that the companion is OK? We would normally recommend to get a new companion, but not for a place where a guinea pig is taken to see a vet and left to die in agony. In that case, it would be better to get the piggy out of there if possible (which you may not be able to).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back