• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Unknown Mouth Problem - Vets Confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajtownhill

New Born Pup
Reaction score

Hopefully you will be able to see the attached video, if not I will try again.

EDIT: The video can also be viewed at
My little Victor has been poorly for around a week now. He wasn't eating properly and couldn't bite into food so we took him to the vets. He had a procedure on Wednesday 10th August general anaesthetic however the vet couldn't see anything wrong with his teeth or jaw, even after an X ray. The vet trimmed his front teeth for good measure anyway.

He is drooling a bit, opens his mouth oddly wide and seemingly chews on nothing. I have been syringe feeding Recovery along with pureed carrot and apple since Wednesday. He will take a very small amount of 'normal' food such a grape or cucumber if it's held close to him and is around 1cm square. Anything even slightly bigger will fall out of his mouth.

I'm really very worried about him. He seems mostly alright in himself, just frustratingly cannot bite into anything and is gurning. He's on ranitidine, metacam and baytril. He's also lost weight.

Any help or suggestions? I would be so grateful as he means the world to me.

Last edited:

eileen

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I'm sorry your beloved cavy is having difficulties chewing.My recently rainbow piggy used to chew similar to this,he had an abcess brewing which you could not see,but he was in pain,chewing on prefered side,causing teeth to molars to overgrow.@furryfriends maybe able to help.

ajtownhill

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm sorry your beloved cavy is having difficulties chewing.My recently rainbow piggy used to chew similar to this,he had an abcess brewing which you could not see,but he was in pain,chewing on prefered side,causing teeth to molars to overgrow.@furryfriends maybe able to help.
Thanks so much Eileen. We're back at the vets tomorrow morning and I will show her the video. He's on Baytril which should help with the abscess but it may be too far gone for that to work. Plus 2 different vets have examined him and neither have spotted anything amiss, including an abscess. I just hope this ordeal is over soon! x

eileen

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
the antibiotic used seems to be Zithro.... Jerry had this and it eliminated the abcess.try to find a cavvy savvy vet if you can,it can take time as it is painful and have to gain confidence in chewing,Bloat can occur due to not being able to eat.little and often with syringe feeding helps enormously.I hope he gets correct help soon.x

TAN

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Where abouts are you in the south west?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score

Hopefully you will be able to see the attached video, if not I will try again.

EDIT: The video can also be viewed at
My little Victor has been poorly for around a week now. He wasn't eating properly and couldn't bite into food so we took him to the vets. He had a procedure on Wednesday 10th August general anaesthetic however the vet couldn't see anything wrong with his teeth or jaw, even after an X ray. The vet trimmed his front teeth for good measure anyway.

He is drooling a bit, opens his mouth oddly wide and seemingly chews on nothing. I have been syringe feeding Recovery along with pureed carrot and apple since Wednesday. He will take a very small amount of 'normal' food such a grape or cucumber if it's held close to him and is around 1cm square. Anything even slightly bigger will fall out of his mouth.

I agree with @eileen that a brewing dental abscess could be one possible issue. My Hywel started having issues several weeks due to the pain before the abscess actually came up. He was treated with Zithromax.

Has your vet checked for oral thrush/fungal as another potential problem?

Please switch to syringe feeding and weighing daily at the same time. Our guide has a section dedicated to dental guinea pigs: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
I'm really very worried about him. He seems mostly alright in himself, just frustratingly cannot bite into anything and is gurning. He's on ranitidine, metacam and baytril. He's also lost weight.

Any help or suggestions? I would be so grateful as he means the world to me.

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Zithromax is the antibiotic that is usually prescribed if there is a chance of a brewing abscess. Has your vet also ruled out oral thrush? Did the vet do anything with the back teeth? you say he trimmed the front ones but I always thought that the back teeth had to be filed at the same time. I could be wrong on that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.