• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

URGENT GUINEA PIG DYING

ajfcb10911

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two guinea pigs, Edmund and Messi. I took Edmund and Messi to the vet to get a check up as Edmund looked to have an eye infection of sort. The vet said Messi's skin was a bit dry so recommended lice treatment (cream on back) in case there was any parasite. I said no if he didnt have any parasites but she said it was only £1 so I said ok.

I then drove the guinea pigs home and put them in their cage. Messi who was completely fine before was now rolled onto his side and wouldn't move. when he tried to move he couldn't really move his hands and he sort of slided across the cage a couple of inches on his chest. I rang the vet immediately and brought him back and she says it was shock so gave him oxygen and kept him warm for an hour. I have since collected Messi as the vets were going to close.

Messi is now in a pen with parsley and a bowl of water but he isn't moving, just breathly. If you stroke him he doesn't react. Has the vet poisoned my pig? When tried to walk a couple times in the past hours but he just shakes and then gives up.

PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT MESSI TO DIE. HOW DO I HELP HIM LIVE.

Which Country are you located please and do you know what the cream was your vet applied? It is possible that your piggy has had an allergic reaction.

Is there anyway you could get to the emergency vet?

My guinea pig was given a pea sized amount of this lice cream to the back of its neck. I don't know what it is. The vet sent him home as the vet was closing. She says he's just in shock. I don't want Messi to die. Do you need photos?

This sounds to me like one of those cheap creams that can be really bad. I think Wiebke has mentioned this in the past?

My guinea pig was given a pea sized amount of this lice cream to the back of its neck. I don't know what it is. The vet sent him home as the vet was closing. She says he's just in shock. I don't want Messi to die. Do you need photos?
Try find a guinea pig emergency vet open right now. Dont wait, sounds like your vet is fobbing you off with excuses

Have you got a photo of the cream or can you tell us what it is?

Keep your piggie warm in a blanket or snuggly/cozy if he is suffering from shock

I have two guinea pigs, Edmund and Messi. I took Edmund and Messi to the vet to get a check up as Edmund looked to have an eye infection of sort. The vet said Messi's skin was a bit dry so recommended lice treatment (cream on back) in case there was any parasite. I said no if he didnt have any parasites but she said it was only £1 so I said ok.

I then drove the guinea pigs home and put them in their cage. Messi who was completely fine before was now rolled onto his side and wouldn't move. when he tried to move he couldn't really move his hands and he sort of slided across the cage a couple of inches on his chest. I rang the vet immediately and brought him back and she says it was shock so gave him oxygen and kept him warm for an hour. I have since collected Messi as the vets were going to close.

Messi is now in a pen with parsley and a bowl of water but he isn't moving, just breathly. If you stroke him he doesn't react. Has the vet poisoned my pig? When tried to walk a couple times in the past hours but he just shakes and then gives up.

PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT MESSI TO DIE. HOW DO I HELP HIM LIVE.

Hi! Has your vet made sure that the treatment was OK for small animals?
Fleas And Flea Powders

Can you contact an out-of-hours vet in your area?

If you phone your usual vets number, they should have an answerphone message giving the number of an emergency out of hours vet, which hopefully you could take him to. In the meantime keep him comfortable and warm, with his friend, and you could try to syringe feed him some water and mushed pellets. I hope you can pull him through! :hug:

He looks very poorly and your vet shouldn’t have sent him home like that even if they were closing. Please get him to an emergency vet. Phone your usual vet practice and the phone number will be on their answering machine

For now try to syringe feed him water and make sure he is still breathing. Google the closest exotic vet and if you really care about him find the closest one that is open and drive to it! If he isn’t responding to hand feeding hay try to feed him tiny bits of soft pieces of hay. But this is a really big emergency and must be taken to a vet this instant.

The vet isn't picking up. Has the vet paralysed my guinea pig or is he in shock?

The vet isn't picking up. Has the vet paralysed my guinea pig or is he in shock?
It’s never sure to tell but keep him with you and try to syringe feed him some of that water and try to feed him the tiniest of bits of that vegetable

Back