• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

urgent help! scab not healing even months after surgery

Vivianhe

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is going to be a long one, but I'll try to keep it as short as possible. A few months ago, our guinea pig had a suspected abscess on her bum. Since it was too big to be drained, the vet decided to perform surgery. Keeping in mind that our vet works specifically with exotics, we decided to trust her and let her do the surgery. Unfortunately, the lump ended up not being an abscess, but was indeed a tumour :/

The doctor stitched our guinea pig back up and gave us Medicam to administer 0.4 mL a day. Unfortunately, she bit at the stitches and ripped them all out. Since then, we have been desperately trying, with no avail, to get the scab to heal. We have tried topical ointments, such as Manuka honey and Derma-gel. Additionally, we had her on septra paediatric suspension, also 0.4 mL a day, but when that did not work, we switched her to 1.2 mL of Chloramphenicol Palmitate oral suspension (Chlor Palm 250) daily.

In the end, we put her in a cone to stop the chewing. My question now is how can I speed up the healing process now that she has finally left it alone? Currently, my daily routine is applying the Manuka honey topically, along with the 1.2 mL of Chlor Palm.

I have attached photos of her lump down below, although I should warn you that it is a sight for sore eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_5803.JPG
    IMG_5803.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5806.JPG
    IMG_5806.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 12
I think the most you can really do is pray. I'm sorry about that. What type of tumor?

I’m no expert but all I can say is maybe go back to the vet, they can re-stitch it and maybe to something but that looks really bad.

Hi all,

This is going to be a long one, but I'll try to keep it as short as possible. A few months ago, our guinea pig had a suspected abscess on her bum. Since it was too big to be drained, the vet decided to perform surgery. Keeping in mind that our vet works specifically with exotics, we decided to trust her and let her do the surgery. Unfortunately, the lump ended up not being an abscess, but was indeed a tumour :/

The doctor stitched our guinea pig back up and gave us Medicam to administer 0.4 mL a day. Unfortunately, she bit at the stitches and ripped them all out. Since then, we have been desperately trying, with no avail, to get the scab to heal. We have tried topical ointments, such as Manuka honey and Derma-gel. Additionally, we had her on septra paediatric suspension, also 0.4 mL a day, but when that did not work, we switched her to 1.2 mL of Chloramphenicol Palmitate oral suspension (Chlor Palm 250) daily.

In the end, we put her in a cone to stop the chewing. My question now is how can I speed up the healing process now that she has finally left it alone? Currently, my daily routine is applying the Manuka honey topically, along with the 1.2 mL of Chlor Palm.

I have attached photos of her lump down below, although I should warn you that it is a sight for sore eyes.
I would recommend a vet visit ASAP, that does look very sore and maybe infected.

@Vivianhe It does suggest that there is an infection in the area so topical home remedies won't help.

You will need to go back to the vet for antibiotics and pain relief, or it may need further surgery.

I’m afraid that your piggy really does need to see a vet as a matter of some urgency. Please let us know what the vets say.

That looks very sore and nasty your poor piggy. I too suggest an emergency vet trip!

Back