Water Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a water filter for the pigs as Toast has recurring bladder problems, cystitis, UTI, bladder crystals etc..

I noticed some are over £100, some at £20 and some are cheap, around £5.99... I've also read that some filters do different things and filter out more/less....

I'm also not sure if I even need one. Scottish tap water is excellent so I don't know if it would even be of any use?

Anyone who uses a filter for their pigs; which one do you use?

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How about one of those Brita water filter jugs? Would that work out cheaper? although you have to replace the filters once a month I believe.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's the kind I'm meaning. But after reading about them it seems like some are a waste of money unless you go for the expensive reverse osmosis ones.. Not sure if it's even worth it :hmm:

Anarchybmc

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have a brita and love it! All of our 8 boys are on brita filtered water and actually wait for me to change it of a morning hehe...

I have found that you can make the filters stretch 6 weeks instead of the 4 only if they are the official brita ones though.xx

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have a brita and love it! All of our 8 boys are on brita filtered water and actually wait for me to change it of a morning hehe...

I have found that you can make the filters stretch 6 weeks instead of the 4 only if they are the official brita ones though.xx
Do you use them due to bladder issues and if so does it help? X

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
As far as I know the Britta jugs filter out calcium which is what you are aiming for with a piggy that gets calcium sludge/stones etc. You really only need to do this if you live in a hard water area. I was advised to use a Britta jug (by a renal surgeon) for my own water as I am a prolific kidney stone maker and have regular ops to remove them. Bristol has very hard water. If you are not sure I would ask your vet before spending lots of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.