• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Water Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a water filter for the pigs as Toast has recurring bladder problems, cystitis, UTI, bladder crystals etc..

I noticed some are over £100, some at £20 and some are cheap, around £5.99... I've also read that some filters do different things and filter out more/less....

I'm also not sure if I even need one. Scottish tap water is excellent so I don't know if it would even be of any use?

Anyone who uses a filter for their pigs; which one do you use?

How about one of those Brita water filter jugs? Would that work out cheaper? although you have to replace the filters once a month I believe.

That's the kind I'm meaning. But after reading about them it seems like some are a waste of money unless you go for the expensive reverse osmosis ones.. Not sure if it's even worth it :hmm:

We have a brita and love it! All of our 8 boys are on brita filtered water and actually wait for me to change it of a morning hehe...

I have found that you can make the filters stretch 6 weeks instead of the 4 only if they are the official brita ones though.xx

We have a brita and love it! All of our 8 boys are on brita filtered water and actually wait for me to change it of a morning hehe...

I have found that you can make the filters stretch 6 weeks instead of the 4 only if they are the official brita ones though.xx
Do you use them due to bladder issues and if so does it help? X

As far as I know the Britta jugs filter out calcium which is what you are aiming for with a piggy that gets calcium sludge/stones etc. You really only need to do this if you live in a hard water area. I was advised to use a Britta jug (by a renal surgeon) for my own water as I am a prolific kidney stone maker and have regular ops to remove them. Bristol has very hard water. If you are not sure I would ask your vet before spending lots of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back