• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Waterbottle

BenjiAndButtons

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just a quick one, any advice would be appreciated!

Yesterday evening we cleaned out Barney's caged and his water bottle, we have both been ill so tried to avoid contact as much as possible, when i have come to check on him today i noticed his bottle was still full, i picked it up and somehow the ball inside wasn't allowing water through ( we felt awful poor guys had no water all night) we have a spare so its sorted and he's had a big drink, just wondered if there was any need to worry with regards to dehydration?

Tar!

I would just keep an eye on him and offer him some watery veg if worried like cucumber. If he acts funny etc then I'd see a vet but hopefully it won't really effect him. It was something we could all easily miss and it's lucky you noticed and changed the bottle :)

Just a quick one, any advice would be appreciated!

Yesterday evening we cleaned out Barney's caged and his water bottle, we have both been ill so tried to avoid contact as much as possible, when i have come to check on him today i noticed his bottle was still full, i picked it up and somehow the ball inside wasn't allowing water through ( we felt awful poor guys had no water all night) we have a spare so its sorted and he's had a big drink, just wondered if there was any need to worry with regards to dehydration?

Tar!

If he has still had his usual veg, he should not be badly dehydrated, especially if he is not a great drinker. See a vet for a subcutaneous liquid infection if has waxy hair and sunken eyes, and if his poos look rather dry or mucus covered. Also check his weight and see whether that is still he same.

I always check the ball in a bottle before I put it back, as guinea pigs always have gunk in their mouths, which can block the ball. Tips on how to clean the spout here: All About Drinking And Bottles

Back