• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve started weighing my piggies weekly this year (I did weigh them in the past but this year I have done it religiously each week).

Now, I know they fluctuate and I’m used to seeing them raise and drop a few grams here and there, but Bellamy has dropped a bit more than usual and I don’t know if I should be concerned yet.

Bellamy is my Lunk and is always around 1.28kgs fluctuating to 1.29 and 1.27 usually. The lowest I’ve recorded him drop to before going back up was 1.233kg. Now on the 12th I weighed him and he was 1.209kg which is a new low. I didn’t initially think anything of it as I’ve just put him with Stitch so they’ve been chasing each other etc. He’s defo eating and poos seem normal so I’m not worried that he’s getting bullied. I weighed him today to be on the safe side and to establish whether it was just an odd day but today he is 1.193kg. Again, not exactly a starving weight but I’m just wondering at what point do I say let’s look at this. Again, he seems ok and from what I can feel his teeth aren’t too long. I’ve just given him some recovery syringe food to boost him up and plan on continuing to every now and again.

any thoughts? I work at a vets so will mention it tomorrow and can take him up but in meantime just curious I’m trying not to instantly worry myself

I would perhaps switch to weighing him daily and if he continues to drop weight, then have him seen by the vet. My Elizabeth was 1250g but is now around 1180g. I’ve been weighing her daily and she’s settled at that weight so I’m not concerned

A drop of 50g a day or a continual downward trend is of concern. I agree you should switch to weighing daily. Hopefully he will stabilise/ pick up.

Back