• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Weird guinea pig behavior/aggression?

ShrimpAndKiwu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I have these two female guinea pigs named Shrimp and Kiwi and I’m not sure if they’re getting along together or not. Shrimp is older by 2 weeks and she’s a lot bigger than Kiwi but it appears that Kiwi is more dominant and when Kiwi gets up into Shrimp’s face Shrimp looks upward as if to say you win or something like that. I know Shrimp loves Kiwi because she likes to give her kisses on her mouth but Kiwi can be a bully. Kiwi used to rumble strut all the time at Shrimp but it appears like she’s calmed down. But now I think Kiwi likes to chase Shrimp around their cage. They eat together and sometimes like to steal food from each other’s mouths. Occasionally Kiwi squeaks once really loudly for no reason and that’s it.

Off topic but I’m also having a hard time bonding with Kiwi. I’m a first time guinea pig mom and I got both Shrimp and Kiwi in December and it is now June. Kiwi is fine being with Shrimp in the cage and Shrimp is perfectly fine with me. Kiwi will come up to the cage if I’m near and beg for food but when I open the cage she scurries away. She acts like such a shy scared pig when I open the cage but when I close the cage she’s the boss and bosses Shrimp around. I’m not sure how I can bond with her more, she doesn’t seem to like me and hides when I try to pet her and she’ll also squeak really loudly once if I pet her. It’s been like this forever and I’m not sure what to do, I don’t want to give her up or anything because I still love her but she’s too scared all the time and also likes to bully Shrimp sometimes. Please help if possible :(

I’ve attached two photos of them from months ago. Kiwi is the black piggy and Shrimp is the golden white one

Attachments

• 65FE2E1D-D3EC-46CE-8E6A-E13469F6EDA5.jpeg
    65FE2E1D-D3EC-46CE-8E6A-E13469F6EDA5.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 682E4911-06A7-44B1-A87B-687F4EE52970.jpeg
    682E4911-06A7-44B1-A87B-687F4EE52970.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
Hello. Sorry you having probs.
I have piggies and I know what you saying that if they get on its best for everyone .
There are lots great advise on this forum about all topics and bonding is covered very wellwell I use the free information when I have a prob. Go to top left = forums and you will find it. It will help.

In terms of shrimp and kiwi’s relationship, it sounds fine. Rumbling, chasing is dominance behaviour and stealing food from each other’s mouth is perfectly normal. The lifting the nose in the air and the ‘kissing’ As you call it (it isn’t kissing) is also a dominance and communication behaviour. The loud squealing may be a submission squeak (it’s normal)

In terms of shrimp and kiwi’s relationship, it sounds fine. Rumbling, chasing is dominance behaviour and stealing food from each other’s mouth is perfectly normal. The lifting the nose in the air and the ‘kissing’ As you call it (it isn’t kissing) is also a dominance and communication behaviour. The loud squealing may be a submission squeak (it’s normal)
Oh okay thank you very much!!

Back