• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok, my fellow cavy enthusiasts! I'm really getting tired of how ugly my guinea pigs' cage is, especially when I'm trying to decorate my new apartment. Nothing says aesthetically appealing like an ugly wire cage with hay and piggie poop flying everywhere. After scouring the internet for some kind of cage that will blend with my living room and serve as not only a cavy home but a piece of furniture, I was left rather disappointed. Sure, there are some people on Pinterest who have transformed their old entertainment center into a cavy cage masterpiece, but not everyone has that kind of time. I'd really like something wooden and aesthetically appealing... Is there anywhere I can buy something like that, that meets my two guinea pigs' space needs and makes a great piece of living room decor?

What are they in at the moment?
And what sort of size are you thinking of?

For me I think anything can be personalised, but C&C offer a lot of flexibility.
But patterned or colour co-ordinated fleece liners with a cute bunting around the outside go a long way towards making a cage pretty (imho).

You can turn Ikea Billy bookcase on it's back and use it as a cage. If you don't need a stand, it can just lay on the floor. You just need to waterproof the floor.

Ok, my fellow cavy enthusiasts! I'm really getting tired of how ugly my guinea pigs' cage is, especially when I'm trying to decorate my new apartment. Nothing says aesthetically appealing like an ugly wire cage with hay and piggie poop flying everywhere. After scouring the internet for some kind of cage that will blend with my living room and serve as not only a cavy home but a piece of furniture, I was left rather disappointed. Sure, there are some people on Pinterest who have transformed their old entertainment center into a cavy cage masterpiece, but not everyone has that kind of time. I'd really like something wooden and aesthetically appealing... Is there anywhere I can buy something like that, that meets my two guinea pigs' space needs and makes a great piece of living room decor?

That's exactly my Piggies enclosure to a tee! :whistle:

We're using Ferplast Cottage Large: COTTAGE LARGE | Indoor rabbit hutch, made of wood - Ferplast

We're redecorating and renewing all of our furniture right now. As crazy as it sounds to plan your interior design around a guinea pig cage, I picked the exact same type of oiled wood for the kitchen cabinets and breakfast nook as the one used by Ferplast. The cabinets will have the this shabby chick feel as the pigs' cottage, and the cottage will be incorporated into the general kitchen layout. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the result.

The only thing I dislike about it is the black wires, but I can't have it all.

I once found an amazing website that custom made wooden cages. They were super pretty but very expensive. I'm trying to remember the company name at the moment but it escapes me, I'll see if I bookmarked it on other devices tomorrow.

You can turn Ikea Billy bookcase on it's back and use it as a cage. If you don't need a stand, it can just lay on the floor. You just need to waterproof the floor.

I just found a picture of the cage I was talking about. You don't need the divider, so it should be pretty simple to make.
bur1.jpg

I don't fink you are mad designing your kitchen round the cage.I designed my kitchen with a gap exactly the right size for my dogs bed.The fitter gave me strange looks but it works great.

Wow. Those houses on the German site are fantastic but zu teuer for me!

You could perhaps build a c&c cage and there's nothing to stop you draping a fleece so it folds down over the whole of the outside of it covering the grids, so long as there is air flow (so you're not putting a solid top of any sort on it). Cut tiny holes if you need to so you can attach a water bottle. You could choose a fleece colour which matches your decor.

Won't be as cool as those wood and Perspex cages but will be a lot cheaper!

Lovely cage, but wouldn't they get hot behind that glass or perplex?
I think it should be fine as long as the cage is open on top, and the sides are not too high.

I do not like their ramps though. I think piggies could fall off some of those taller ramps.

Yeah, you're right, Lissie - that was the first thing I noticed. I also think the space in the cages isn't arranged in the best possible way to allow them to run laps.

But I do like the idea - the pigs can live in a sleek and modern piece of furniture, and not necessarily in an ugly cage. They just have to work a bit on the design of the ramps and the floors a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back