• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White Lumps On My Male's Bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelsey Darragh

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site and GP's so any advice is appreciated and if I'm doing anything wrong let me know!

Yesterday me and my partner bought a child's paddling pool for our two boys to run around in as we thought this would be easier than a run which makes it a little tougher to interact or clean. Whilst they were running around there was naturally, pees, poos and also some white liquid, I don't think that this was too much calcium in their pee, so I assumed it must be semen. Both our boys are very similar ages and are between 10-11 weeks old. I noticed our eldest boy, Walnut, had what seemed to be white lumps hanging off of what I think was his anus. My partner believed it to be semen and that it just hadn't dripped off, but I started to notice that things were sticking to it. This morning I checked again and I couldn't see any lumps but he did have some sawdust clinging on.

My problem is that we've only had our boys for two weeks, and although Walnut is very comfortable with us he is very excited and loves running around, I can't get him to sit still for a moment never mind to let me clean his bottom if it's smegma or any other problem which requires cleaning with mineral oil. I need some help on how to make sure he has no infection or blockage and how I can clean it up without making my little man too scared or nervous of me! He's been going to the toilet normally, there's no sound of pain and he doesn't spend a lot of time cleaning or touching his back side. What's going on?!

Thank you for any help or advice you could give me,

Kelsey x

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Kelsey! Welcome to the forum. I think the most important thing is to gain the trust of your boys, before you tackle the gross stuff! Guinea pig semen is thick and goopy and sets like rock! If it is more liquid, It is more likely to be cloudy wee, which is perfectly normal. At his age, Walnut is unlikely to be impacted, and if he was he wouldn't be pooing normally, and anything else can probably wait. Young boars can make a lot of mess on each other, and with some pairs boar glue in the fur is a common occurance, but there are also some who never do this. The inside of the "bum sac" is pretty sticky, with white gunk, and they can get stuff stuck in there. To be fair it usually comes out eventually, but regular checks are probably a good thing to start doing.

Gentle handling, food bribes and patience will help build that bond with your guys. Young pigs are usually pretty wriggly, but you will get to the stage where you will be able to examine the rear end without too much fuss.

I hope all that helps! Ask away if you want more!

Kelsey Darragh

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you so much!

I'm just glad to know that it's not anything dangerous or uncommon. I'll use play time everyday as an excuse to check out for anything! If things don't naturally fall out or clear up, what's the best approach to keeping my little guys fresh?

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm afraid you will have to...investigate the hell hole. During bath time (which is a whole new level of torture for some piggies) is often a good time to have a look. You will have to turn the sac "inside out" and gently remove the smelly gunk, with a cotton bud or similar. Coconut oil is popular, but I think most kinds of cooking oil do the trick as this gunk doesn't dissolve in water. Rinse well with warm water. It won't be popular, I would recommend a tasty treat for afterwards. While they are young, I really don't think you'll have too many problems, it's as they age and everything becomes a bit more stretchy, that it becomes more important to check things out. Good luck, and don't worry, you're doing great!

Kelsey Darragh

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ahhh, thank god I'm willing to do all of this for my piggies, in all the asking/books I took from the pet shop nothing like this was mentioned! I can't imagine the piggies who have things like this that don't get cared for.
Thank you for all your help, I'll make sure to keep my boys happy and healthy! They'll be pampered in their old age ahah! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.