• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

white stuff on eye?

NutellaAndGelato

New Born Pup
Reaction score
gelato, my guinea pig, was cleaning herself. after she was done, there was white residue on her eye. i looked it up and it said that it’s what they use to clean themselves. is this true? i’m worried :(

Attachments

• 958A9A34-8FD5-48BE-9F8A-46BBD569184A.jpeg
    958A9A34-8FD5-48BE-9F8A-46BBD569184A.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 7
This is milky cleaning fluid, which is normally re-absorbed but can on occasion spill out. Unless you see it all the time (which could indicate a blocked tear duct), you need not worry.

Watery tear fluid (drying to a transparent crust) is always a sign that something has got into the eye or that there is a discomfort or injury in there, especially if the eye is drawn in. if your piggy is blinking and watering a lot, please see a vet promptly as your piggy could have a potential eye injury hidden underneath. A little one off crust is generally just from a fleck of dust being washed out and nothing to be concerned.
Greyish gunk is the sign of an ulcerating (i.e. infected) eye injury.

Greenish/yellowish or orangey gunk in eyes and nose are typical for an advanced un- or undertreated respiratory infection whereas transparent crusts around the nose are dried watery discharge from sneezing (the normal reaction to clear the nose).

I hope that this helps you?

Back