• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

baeleigh5

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two female guinea pigs. one is 1 year old and the other is 5-6 months. i’ve been noticing today that the oldest female has been mounting the younger and leaving white gelatinous discharge on the bedding and on the younger? should i be worried about this? is she actually a male?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two female guinea pigs. one is 1 year old and the other is 5-6 months. i’ve been noticing today that the oldest female has been mounting the younger and leaving white gelatinous discharge on the bedding and on the younger? should i be worried about this? is she actually a male?

Hi!

Please always double check the gender upon arrival; mis-sexing does happen. Here is our sexing guide link, which teaches you where exactly to look and feel for in some less obvious but much more gender devisive areas than the outside appearance - with lots of comparison pictures of both genders and at different ages and stages of development: Illustrated Sexing Guide

If you have indeed got a sow, I would have her vet checked; this doesn't sound normal.

PS: We are a UK based forum with an international membership. Could you please add your country, state/province or UK county to location in your account details (accessed by clicking on your username on the top bar) in order to allow us to tailor any advice and recommendations to what is relavant and available where you live.
Please don't use your home town in your account details for your own protection and without any more helpful pointer for us as to which part of the world you are actually living in, so we can take into account climate and general background; access to vets, rescues and differing medical brand names etc. into our consideration and give you more personalised support. Thank you.

baeleigh5

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you! Turns out my big girl is a boy! where should i go from here?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Make sure you house the next to each other so they can still interact. But the cages must be secure.